The Tao Te Ching

JosephM

When there is no desire,

all things are at peace.

I feel the material world hides the true universe of God’s pure consciousness where all is spiritual, perfect and good. When divine love becomes clear, we see that divine harmony governs all elements and personalities in creation. Water is by nature clear and pure, but sometimes it becomes muddy. If we filter all the mud out of the water, it again approaches its original pure state. Pure consciousness is already in the core of our heart, but because of our materially conditioned life we cannot see it and have forgotten that it exists. Sometimes we see it and are aware of pure consciousness; and then again it goes into hiding. It is like a flowing spring in the core of our soul, but if we throw dirt over it with worldly desires, the spring gets covered so we don’t know where it is or are aware of it. Pure consciousness is still flowing though, and if the earthly desires are removed, pure consciousness is discovered again and will guide us once again. I feel that is why we are here to remind each other and myself again and again of the pure consciousness within.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitchell has one brief note on chapter 37

If powerful men and women could center themselves in it

They can!

--------------

I understand how simplicity and detachment helps the individual attain inner peace. But I wonder if it’s wise, or possible even, for rulers to have no goals or objectives. Did Lao Tsu really advise them to have no intentions for positive change?

Maybe for administrators, being without desire would mean being free of envy, greed and blind ambition, rather than not seeking to reform and improve situations. Or perhaps the Tao would say everything, including government, just happens, gets done by itself and no one is taking any action.

(I’ve probably said all this before, about an earlier chapter :-)

(snip)

I understand how simplicity and detachment helps the individual attain inner peace. But I wonder if it’s wise, or possible even, for rulers to have no goals or objectives. Did Lao Tsu really advise them to have no intentions for positive change?

Maybe for administrators, being without desire would mean being free of envy, greed and blind ambition, rather than not seeking to reform and improve situations. Or perhaps the Tao would say everything, including government, just happens, gets done by itself and no one is taking any action.

(I’ve probably said all this before, about an earlier chapter :-)

karen,

It seems to me that the Tao may not be advocating no goals or objectives per se but rather focusing on the moment and performing ones function , whether it be government or whatever, the best one can. To be focused on the moment and on inner peace is not to say one has no objective or goal. The moment works toward the objective or goal but is not attached to the outcome. Whatever is appropriate will come directly from the Tao and results will be more in harmony with the whole. Just my personal view.

Also, to me, free from desire merely means not controlled by personal desire and not allowing it to influence an administrators actions but rather letting all actions flow from the Tao which one will find more appropriate and with more wisdom than ones own.

Joseph

Chapter 38 now open for discussion or dialog ........

The Master doesn't try to be powerful;

thus he is truly powerful.

The ordinary man keeps reaching for power;

thus he never has enough.

The Master does nothing,

yet he leaves nothing undone.

The ordinary man is always doing things,

yet many more are left to be done.

The kind man does something,

yet something remains undone.

The just man does something,

and leaves many things to be done.

The moral man does something,

and when no one responds

he rolls up his sleeves and uses force.

When the Tao is lost, there is goodness.

When goodness is lost, there is morality.

When morality is lost, there is ritual.

Ritual is the husk of true faith,

the beginning of chaos.

Therefore the Master concerns himself

with the depths and not the surface,

with the fruit and not the flower.

He has no will of his own.

He dwells in reality,

and lets all illusions go.

When the Tao is lost there is goodness

This, for me, is when "the good" is defined as some sort of objective standard. That we than seek to live up to, seek to attain it/become it; and the more we "succeed" the deeper the judgement we can make of others who have fallen short of our own efforts and our own "attainment". Instead of living from Grace.

Perhaps because I am dipping into my Pocket Merton, and his ideas of false and real selves is floating around in my mind...........but I do see this as all related to a false self. As Merton says, we love to clothe this false self and construct its nothingness into something objectively real

Joseph said “To be focused on the moment and on inner peace is not to say one has no objective or goal. The moment works toward the objective or goal but is not attached to the outcome. Whatever is appropriate will come directly from the Tao and results will be more in harmony with the whole.”

I appreciated that explanation…maybe one doesn’t have to choose between detached quiescence, and longing to be helpful in some small way.

Here are Mitchell’s notes on chapter 38--

The Master does nothing: He has no goal in mind, doesn’t think that he is doing anything. He’s just along for the ride.

yet he leaves nothing undone: no expectations, no regrets, no residue

When the Tao is lost: you can never lose the Tao. But you can find it.

Therefore the Master concerns himself with the depths and not the surface: in the depths there is no distinction between depths and surface. Fruit in autumn, flowers in spring. He enjoys the flowers as he enjoys the fruit.

To me, this chapter emphasizes being nonjudgmental, not trying to control others. The thing that bothers me is that often Lao Tsu alludes to a prior time when everything was according to the Tao – sort of a lost Golden Age before humanity’s downward slide to goodness then morality then ritual. I wonder if that ideal state of being ever existed, even in his own mind – unless it refers to childhood innocence, or to the simplicity of rural life compared to life at court?

These verses are difficult to reconcile with biblical thought in the sense that kindness and justice are viewed negatively – as interference with the natural order (the flower/fruit image).

(snip)

These verses are difficult to reconcile with biblical thought in the sense that kindness and justice are viewed negatively – as interference with the natural order (the flower/fruit image).

Rivanna,

To me, i don't think so much that this is in conflict with the NT message. It seems more to be saying that when man leaves the depths of the spirit he makes his own kindness and justice similar to the Sadducees and Pharisees. He makes his own goodness, morality, ritual and then faith which is lacking. When led by the spirit, these things flow of themselves and will be harmony with the Spirit. In essence, in my view, it contrasts Christianity's walking in the flesh to walking in the Spirit.

Joseph

The Master doesn't try to be powerful;

thus he is truly powerful.

The ordinary man keeps reaching for power;

thus he never has enough.

Ordinary people search for love and never find it. They search for peace of mind and never find it until they become peace. I think people will only find love when they become love. We love, and love is there. Some Christians talk about Jesus and condemn others in his name, but we will never know Jesus until we take on the mind of Jesus. It seems we Christians use the power in the title of Christ to gain power in his name, but we will never get power by reaching. By being love we will find love, become peace and we find peace of mind, and when we witness power in the simple act of being who we are, we become power. Christ consciousness doesn't want its own way. For me Christ consciousness is not a withdrawal from the squalor and weakness of humanity, a vocal prayer in the suburbs declaring God king, but a human warmth, a caring, a concern, a mercy, a love and a compassion without saying a word. I feel the Tao is teaching us how to become better Christians not by preaching, but by being love in a materialistic, dangerous world. May we be able to make Muslims better Muslims, Hindus better Hindus and Jews better Jews, by being better Christians.

The Master does nothing,

yet he leaves nothing undone.

The ordinary man is always doing things,

yet many more are left to be done.

He has no will of his own.

He dwells in reality,

and lets all illusions go.

Ordinary people search for love and never find it. They search for peace of mind and never find it until they become peace. I think people will only find love when they become love. We love, and love is there. Some Christians talk about Jesus and condemn others in his name, but we will never know Jesus until we take on the mind of Jesus. It seems we Christians use the power in the title of Christ to gain power in his name, but we will never get power by reaching. By being love we will find love, become peace and we find peace of mind, and when we witness power in the simple act of being who we are, we become power. Christ consciousness doesn't want its own way. For me Christ consciousness is not a withdrawal from the squalor and weakness of humanity, a vocal prayer in the suburbs declaring God king, but a human warmth, a caring, a concern, a mercy, a love and a compassion without saying a word. I feel the Tao is teaching us how to become better Christians not by preaching, but by being love in a materialistic, dangerous world. May we be able to make Muslims better Muslims, Hindus better Hindus and Jews better Jews, by being better Christians.

soma,

Thanks so much for those words. A true blessing and inspiration.

Chapter 39 now open for dialog and discussion .......

In harmony with the Tao,

the sky is clear and spacious,

the earth is solid and full,

all creature flourish together,

content with the way they are,

endlessly repeating themselves,

endlessly renewed.

When man interferes with the Tao,

the sky becomes filthy,

the earth becomes depleted,

the equilibrium crumbles,

creatures become extinct.

The Master views the parts with compassion,

because he understands the whole.

His constant practice is humility.

He doesn't glitter like a jewel

but lets himself be shaped by the Tao,

as rugged and common as stone.

Enjoyed reading this chapter. It seemed to me silently moving, profound and gentle. It reads like poetry and speaks to me and leaves me little to say at this hour.

Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

What? no comments on this Chapter.

It seems to speak of man's messing with the natural order of things to me.

I will wait a couple days and move on for those interested.

Joseph

I feel chapter 39 is talking about unity and how the parts work together for the whole experience of harmony and vitality. The soil of a healthy garden supports a variety of plants and the plants when they die give the soil a variety of components that contribute to the soil’s balance. Growing only one plant looks good, but contributes to imbalance and an unhealthy condition of the soil. For humans a harmonious relationship is a key factor in achieving a balanced life because stress rises up in our relationship with others if not in harmony.

Our leaders need to serve the needs of the common people because they are the foundation similar to the soil being the foundation of the garden. The vitality of the country or state depends on the balanced reached. The leaders who claim credit usually don’t see the balance and harmony that leads to vitality or away from it. If they saw the harmony they could not claim it. Claiming or blaming shows one has lost site of harmony because vitality requires that the common person is a basis for the unity and health. The best leaders don’t mess up the natural balance so people think the good fortune happened naturally. The soil doesn’t claim credit for the garden it just lives in a symbiotic relationship with what is around it.

Philippians 2:3

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

Chapter 39 Mitchell’s only comment –

lets himself be shaped by the Tao: “as a piece of marble lets itself be shaped by the sculptor, so that the statue inside can be revealed. Hammer and chisel are necessary agents. Ouch.”

Can’t help associating these verses with the oil spill in the Gulf -- the sea “becomes filthy, the equilibrium crumbles, creatures become extinct.” A bitter lesson for our society of reckless consumers, and for technology – with all its ability to entertain and distract us, it fails us now when we need it most.

On one level, the image of cutting the marble might point to making preventative changes for the future.

“The Master views the parts with compassion, understanding the whole...his constant practice is humility” – not sure if the whole refers to the ideal of harmony in the first stanza, or man’s interference with nature in the second, but humility is a good response either way.

Chapter 39

(snip)

"The Master views the parts with compassion, understanding the whole...his constant practice is humility" – not sure if the whole refers to the ideal of harmony in the first stanza, or man's interference with nature in the second, but humility is a good response either way.

Got to thinking about what you say here. It seems to me as individuals we are the parts to be viewed with compassion in spite of our perceived disharmony. The Master or one who knows can view with compassion because he understands the whole picture, the totality of creation and knows that this is the way creation unfolds and all roads eventually lead to harmony. In otherwords, if this makes any sense, there is harmony in disharmony when the whole is seen for what it is which leaves only compassion.

Just my take,

Thanks Karen for giving me food for thought.

Joseph

Chapter 40 & 41 now open for discussion..... We are at the halfway mark...

Chapter 40

Return is the movement of the Tao.

Yielding is the way of the Tao.

All things are born of being.

Being is born of non-being.

Chapter 41

When a superior man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to embody it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he half believes it, half doubts it.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud.

If he didn't laugh,

it wouldn't be the Tao.

Thus it is said:

The path into the light seems dark,

the path forward seems to go back,

the direct path seems long,

true power seems weak,

true purity seems tarnished,

true steadfastness seems changeable,

true clarity seems obscure,

the greatest are seems unsophisticated,

the greatest love seems indifferent,

the greatest wisdom seems childish.

The Tao is nowhere to be found.

Yet it nourishes and completes all things.

These two chapters to me seem to read like poetry and speak clearly as to require very little discussion. They seem self evident to one who embraces the Tao even as to one in Christianity that embraces the One Divine in and through All.

The Christian walk to me also seems to be a return and yielding movement. It can also be said...

The path into the light seems dark,

the path forward seems to go back,

the direct path seems long,

true power seems weak,

true purity seems tarnished,

true steadfastness seems changeable,

true clarity seems obscure,

the greatest are seems unsophisticated,

the greatest love seems indifferent,

the greatest wisdom seems childish.

God is nowhere to be found.

Yet God nourishes and completes all things

Do others see this as applicable in Christianity also?

Joseph

All things are born of being.

Being is born of non-being.

I feel the first verse in Genesis is an example of the universal principle in the Tao, which is the emergence of being from non-being. It says that in the beginning God created heaven and earth that the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and that the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. These primordial waters have no shape or form, so in the beginning, when “All lands were sea”, the void and be interpreted as nothing but an ocean of pure consciousness. This void is everything; it is a time before the emergence of the conscious mind and being. This abstract example can be the theoretical point of union between being and non-being.

Imagine all living things of the universe emerging out of an ocean of God the Father’s pure consciousness, being maintained in this ocean and finally dissolving into it in the end. Imagine this ocean of pure consciousness with some parts frozen. The liquid part represents pure consciousness, which is not manifested materially and the icebergs represent pure consciousness as it is manifested in the universe thus we have creation. The ocean and the icebergs are both made of water so they both contain pure consciousness. In Christian terms I would refer to the ocean of pure consciousness as God the Father.

Return is the movement of the Tao.

Yielding is the way of the Tao.

Ice will return to water as we will return to the Father and water yields to ice.

When a superior man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to embody it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he half believes it, half doubts it.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud.

If he didn’t laugh,

it wouldn’t be the Tao.

I look at this as Christian Mysticism. A Christian mystic being anyone who lives a deep spiritual life with his reality rooted in God. In the deepest part of his interior life the mystic becomes enchanted with even the most ordinary events and objects as coming from God and shinning in the light of God.

The normal man dives into the interior, but is soon drawn to the surface, the sidelines where he watches people acting from their center down deep. On the surface the normal man may be fragmented, distracted and unrealized at times and at other times on his way to the center will act with depth, maturity and self-realization.

Luke 16:13 (New International Version) 13"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

It seems the unaware think they have to choose to serve God or manage their affairs so they love the circumference and hate the interior life or center. The Pharisees' Scoff at the idea to serve God and everything will fall into place. They spend their time, thoughts and desires on the surface and scoff at the center. They belong to the world and to the external physical things that make it up. We have many great Christian institutions managing their affairs, but they lack the vitality and interior force to influence others. They even judge their church on the number or people attending. These institutions make fun and laugh at the emphasis on inner growth so the Pharisees sneer at Jesus. They turn up their noses and mockingly reject the teachings of Jesus. These individuals are consistent in their contempt, hard hearts and attitude against the spiritual life.

Chapter 41 lends itself to comparisons with I Corinthians, the verses about God’s wisdom being foolishness to the world, Paul saying he has become a fool for Christ, that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness, etc.

“Great purity seems sullied” reminds me of Matthew 11 where Jesus refers to John the Baptist being criticized for being too ascetic -- “they say he has a demon”-- while Jesus as “the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners. But wisdom is proved right by her actions.”

As for the three ways of responding to the Tao – guess I’d be in the intermittent practice category :-)

I probably can’t post very often this summer, have an art show to prepare for one thing.

Might possibly start a blog after that.

rivanna, Break a leg!

Like the Tao, Phrase finder interprets it as

# Put on a performance good enough that you will have to bend your knee in a bow or curtsey to acknowledge the applause.

# Impress the audience so much that you will need to bend down to pick up the coins they throw onto the stage.

I didn't want it to mean the other Phrase finder interpretation

A reference to John Wilkes Booth, who broke his leg when jumping on stage, attempting to flee after shooting President Lincoln.

Chapter 42 now open for discussion/dialog ...........

The Tao gives birth to One.

One gives birth to Two.

Two gives birth to Three.

Three gives birth to all things.

All things have their backs to the female

and stand facing the male.

When male and female combine,

all things achieve harmony.

Ordinary men hate solitude.

But the Master makes use of it,

embracing his aloneness, realizing

he is one with the whole universe.

The first 8 lines seem a bit puzzling. Anybody have any ideas on what is being said? I personally don't at this time.

Joseph

Chapter 42 now open for discussion/dialog ...........

One gives birth to Two.

The first 8 lines seem a bit puzzling. Anybody have any ideas on what is being said? I personally don't at this time.

Joseph

Joseph,

Like a lot of things , very puzzling! I gave google a go and found a website that had a multitude of translations......

Beck The Way produced the One; the One produced two; two produced three; and three produced all things.

Blackney The Way begot one, And the one, two; Then the two begot three And three, all else.

Bynner Life, when it came to be, Bore one, then two, then three Elements of things; And thus the three began - Heaven and earth and man - To balance happenings:

Byrn The Tao gave birth to One. The One gave birth to Two. The Two gave birth to Three. The Three gave birth to all of creation.

Chan Tao produced the One. The One produced the two. The two produced the three. And the three produced the ten thousand things.

Cleary The Way produces one; one produces two, two produce three, three produce all beings:

Crowley The Dao formulated the One. The One exhaled the Two. The Two were parents of the Three. The Three were parents of all things.

Hansen A guide generates 'one.' 'One' generates 'two.' 'Two' generates 'three.' 'Three' generates the ten-thousand natural kinds.

LaFargue Tao produced The One The One produced Two Two produced Three Three produced the thousands of things.

Legge The Tao produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three; Three produced All things.

Lindauer Tao gives birth to one One gives birth to two Two gives birth to three Three gives birth to the 10000 things.

LinYutan Out of Tao, One is born; Out of One, Two; Out of Two, Three; Out of Three, the created universe.

Mabry The Tao gives birth to one. One gives birth to two. Two gives birth to three, And three gives birth to all things.

McDonald Dao gave birth to the one; the one gave birth successively to two things, three things, up the everything, everybody and the whole world we know.

Merel The Way bears sensation, Sensation bears memory, Sensation and memory bear abstraction, And abstraction bears all the world;

Mitchell The Tao gives birth to One. One gives birth to Two. Two gives birth to Three. Three gives birth to all things.

Muller The Tao produces one, one produces two. The two produce the three and the three produce all things.

Red Pine The Tao gives birth to one one gives birth to two two gives birth to three three gives birth to ten thousand things

Ta-Kao Tao begets One; one begets two; two begets three; three begets all things.

Walker Nonbeing gives birth to the oneness. The oneness gives birth to yin and yang. Yin and Yang give birth to heaven, earth, and beings. Heaven, earth, and beings give birth to everything in existence.

Wieger When the Principle has emitted its virtue, the latter begins to evolve according to two alternating modalities. This evolution produces (or condenses) the median air (tenuous matter). From tenuous matter, under the influence of the two modalities yin and yang, all sentient beings are produced.

World Infinity is oneness. Infinity is the potential of all things. All things are one with Infinity. Distinguishing creates the two

Wu Tao gave birth to One, One gave birth to Two, Two gave birth to Three, Three gave birth to all the myriad things.

Beck All things have the receptivity of the female and the activity of the male. Through union with the life force they blend in harmony.

Blackney All things bear the shade on their backs And the sun in their arms; By the blending of breath From the sun and the shade, Equilibrium comes to the world.

Bynner Cool night behind, warm day ahead, For the living, for the dead.

Byrn All things carry Yin yet embrace Yang. They blend their life breaths in order to produce harmony.

Chan The ten thousand things carry the yin and embrace the yang, and through the blending of the material force they achieve harmony.

Cleary All beings bear yin and embrace yang, with a mellowing energy for harmony.

Crowley All things pass from Obscurity to Manifestation, inspired harmoniously by the Breath of the Void.

Hansen The ten-thousand natural kinds bear Yin and embrace Yang. Blend the life-forces and deem-make 'harmony.'

LaFargue The thousands of things: Turn their backs on the quiet and dark and embrace the aggressive and bright. An Empty ch'i brings Harmony.

Legge All things leave behind them the Obscurity (out of which they have come), and go forward to embrace the Brightness (into which they have emerged), while they are harmonized by the Breath of Vacancy.

Lindauer All things carry yin and embrace yang With their blended animus, action in harmony happens.

LinYutan The created universe carries the yin at its back and the yang in front; Through the union of the pervading principles it reaches harmony.

Mabry All things carry Yin and embrace Yang Desiring nothing and finding harmony.

McDonald The ten thousand things carry the yin as some back or behind, and hug the yang in front. Through the blending of the pervading principles as some abstract union, and by a further blending [designing] the material force (ki) they can gain [sound] harmony. And so the union in harmony gets strong [and defences]. In other words, living beings can't turn their backs to the shade [such as cooling yin] without having the sun on their bellies [it could be invigorating yang], and it's on such (yin-yang) blending of so-called breaths that [most] harmony depends.

Merel Each thing in the world bears feeling and doing, And, imbued with mind, harmony with the Way.

Mitchell All things have their backs to the female and stand facing the male. When male and female combine, all things achieve harmony.

Muller All things submit to yin and embrace yang. They soften their energy to achieve harmony.

Red Pine Ten thousand things with yin at their backs and yang in their embrace and breath between for harmony

Ta-Kao All things are backed by the Shade (yin) and faced by the Light (yang), and harmonized by the immaterial Breath (ch'i).

Walker Therefore everything in existence carries within it both yin and yang, and attains its harmony by blending together these two vital breaths.

Wieger Coming out from the yin (from strength) they pass to the yang (to the act), through the influence of the two modalities on matter.

World All things can be distinguished as yin and yang. The harmony of oneness is achieved by not distinguishing.

Wu All the myriad things carry the Yin on their backs and hold the Yang in their embrace, Deriving their vital harmony from the proper blending of the two vital Breaths.

Hope this helps, havent actually perused it carefully myself yet.

All the best

Derek

:)

One gives birth to Two.

Modern science sees energy forming the material universe; the same energy in the material universe changes into various forms in the physical universe and then resolves back into energy in one big circle so from the one energy we get duality or many. In the sub atomic structures beyond atoms and electrons, energy is changing into matter and matter into energy. Through scientific induction modern thought agrees with the spiritual deductions of many realized individuals that "All is one". Investigators see variations of consciousness clearly defined from simple organisms to complex personal beings and have recorded and observed a scale of unity from the atomic level to simple intelligences and from the complex personalities to universal transcendence. They show us a continuous path where everything is united in the universe. I think evolution is a good attempt to show the continuous path of creation.

When we go into the world, we see pine trees, oak trees, fruit trees and other variations of plants. All these plants are rooted in the same creative soil and are unique. Yet, they are all plants existing for different purposes, but if we see them as plants, they are not different things. As human beings we are also the same thing, but we are different when we see ourselves functioning at different levels. We see different mental depths and heights, but no matter what level we are at, we are evolving to a consciousness of unity. Science sees a universal energy flowing through the material and the physical universe, and it is this same energy that supplies our guidance and inspiration. When our mind obeys this inspiration, it evolves to a higher purpose than the restrictive personality of our ego dominated mind. I feel to experience this one energy one has to go inside him/herself alone to experience the al one ness.

In Christianity I see the Tao, God the Father as pure consciousness, which is one because everything is created from it and within it. It is an ocean of pure energy, pure consciousness. In the ocean of pure consciousness are ice burgs, which are made from h2o or pure consciousness just like the water. The ice burgs or creation has qualities so I like to call it qualified consciousness. What caused the qualities in the water of pure consciousness I would call the Holy Spirit. I think it is the operating system that freezes the water to make ice. Some might call it Mother Nature so we have structure, pure consciousness manifest thanks to the female principle and we are facing the pure consciousness, the un-manifest, the male principle as we awaken to spirit. I don’t mind switching the sexes on the principles, which is what the Tao does. Christianity uses different terms so I try to use that system. Our ego seems to weave an identity similar to a cup. We have pure consciousness in the cup and there is water outside the cup, in fact the cup (ego) with water is floating in water. Ordinary men and women seem to be content in the cup floating up and down on the surface, but some are not content in isolation and want to go deep in the ocean and experience al-one-ness, alone in oneness with the whole universe

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 43 now open for dialog or discussion.......

The gentlest thing in the world

overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

That which has no substance

enters where there is no space.

This shows the value of non-action.

Teaching without words,

performing without actions:

that is the Master's way.

To me this speaks of being non-reactive to those things that would normally bring on a negative response.

Feeding the fire with that which is has no substance brings on peace rather than more flames.

Joseph

Archived