Greetings From England

Keith

Hello

I live in England and am a recently retired family medical practitioner.

I am Methodist, belonging to a house group "Questioning believers". More questioning than belief in any traditional sense.

We struggle with belonging to the community with all of the fellowship and support with the struggle to any longer identify with dogma and lack of willingness of so many to understand that we live in 2012 with all that entails re modern belief.

Hope to share thoughts

Keith

a 'questioning believers' house group, sounds like a great idea. was it started by the church or independently of the church? not sure how well it would do in my church, although the pastor told me last night he was thinking of starting a kind of 'theology club' to discuss the 'big questions'.

Jonny

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum. I am also from the UK (Bristol) and your group sounds interesting. We all have questions and dogma does not answer the questions we ask. I see dogma as those protected no go areas that some churches have, usually because its premise is on very uncertain ground that some religious bodies like to protect it. So they install fear and guilt to act as a wall of taboo.

I think you have found the right place to ask whatever questions you may want and engage in meaningful conversation without no one telling you what you must believe or using dogma.

Pete

a 'questioning believers' house group, sounds like a great idea. was it started by the church or independently of the church? not sure how well it would do in my church, although the pastor told me last night he was thinking of starting a kind of 'theology club' to discuss the 'big questions'.

Jonny

jonny

There are several house groups of the traditional type already functioning. A few of us were feeling increasingly isolated in belief and so set up our own group. However the minister is accepting of this although not theologically on our wavelength.

May be able to share some of our thoughts.

If the local church not supportive then you can always look outside and to possibly include searchers, not already affiliated.

Keith

Archived