Hello - Glad To Meet You All

Janeaustenfan

Hi - am pleased to have a chance to "talk" to fellow Christians who are open to questions and who are not afraid of reason. Am having many issues in an Anglican church which seems to be revisiting ideas which I thought were done and dusted many years ago such as a literal belief in Adam and Eve and demons. I really felt that by the time I was 60 our understanding of the Bible would have moved away from the literal. Am a youth leader and we now have 2 new leaders (lovely people however) who are very fundamentalist. Am torn between challenging them - which am reluctant to do in front of the young people, and giving up as a youth leader. Just as an example one leader told me she believed a story she heard on a Christian TV station about a man who was literally threatened at night by demons. Felt we were in the Middle Ages. Help!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the community Jane Austen fan,

I assume you are a fan of fiction and Jane Austen in particular.

Sounds like you are in quite a predicament being a youth leader. It is a most difficult position to be in when one is in transition and others seem to be stuck in traditional teachings. Patience is a a great asset to have at such times as it seems to me so difficult for many to see and move past the traditional programming of the 'herd' even though it sounds so reasonable to us in our latter years to do so. Good to have you here and looking forward to hearing your perspectives and insights. i assume you are from the UK as are some other active members here.

Welcome again,

Joseph

Welcome Janeaustenfan,

It's a strong reassurance to some that they are on God's 'side' when they here stories of demons attacking Christians. When my sister's child would wake at night suffering a night-terror, she and her husband believed demons were attacking the child and would pray feverishly until the child settled and went back to sleep.

You are in a bit of a pickle i guess, but im not sure there's much you can do about it. Trying to convince another that their understanding of Christianity might be off track, rarely works in my experience. It really does seem a case of when the listener is ready, then and only then will they hear.

I guess you can only be true to yourself and share your thoughts when asked.

I wish you well.

Paul

• Upvote 1

Hi Jane Austen Fan.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are able to find a way through your dilemma. I remember reading about one person who when challenged by a strong viewpoint just used to listen and the under their breath say to themselves "You're very right my friend - according to your model of the world". Fundamentalist viewpoints are hard to shift I agree but I hope that does not prevent you from being who you are.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Pete

Welcome from another Jane Austen fan:)

While not knowing the situation as well as you do, from what you say I feel it would be a shame if you left the youth group in charge of the traditionalist leaders. Perhaps there is a chance for you to gently offer another perspective to the young people in the group, as well as the other leaders.

Hope to hear more from you

Annie

Janeaustenfan, You don't have to do anything. Your energy speaks volumes. Evolution is a gradual process with moments of revolution. Your Christian presence accerates evolution so just keep your balance and don't get knocked off your feet. Situations will present themselves and if your balanced a revolution will occur without you doing anything even if you started it. The key is to enjoy the show and not get pulled down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JAF. I have been in a very similar situation, and my best take on it in hindsight is that you be you (don't pretend to be someone you're not) and let them be them (don't try to convince them that you are right and they are all misunderstood....at least not in that forum), and if you cannot "tow the company line" of the churches belief statement in front of the youth (it is probably declared on their website) then you should probably leave instead of challenging them in front of the youth. That's my $0.02 anyway...