Intro

Padre775

I've been following PC for four years (mainly because the 8 points seemed both refreshing and informed). I recently retired as an Episcopal priest and my wife and I moved to Ohio to be nearer children and grandchildren. My checkered past included a long stint in the Air Force as a fighter pilot (F-16, F-4, mainly), whereupon I needed something more dangerous. Hence, the Episcopal priesthood. Now, after about 20 years in the priesthood, I'm retired...again. Except I've decided to start a blog and have an extremely vertical learning curve (RSS feeds, FTP's, plug-ins and other esoterica). I feel like a freshman in high school, a cadet in pilot training, and curate, all in one. So I'm getting the hang of forums and blogs by...well...being in one. Seems like a great place to start.

In my doctorate studies at Drew University I concentrated on what appeared to me to be similarities between classical Christian contemplatives and the 21st century postmodern ethos (if there is such a thing). Mystical streams within Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism seem to have a lot in common with modern seekers.

• Upvote 1

Hi Padre,

Have much in common. Served in Air Force on F4C, D, & E radar and armament systems electronics. Also have my commercial, instrument pilot and instructors license teaching aerobatics for some time. Also ordained and served as non-denominational Christian minister. Among other things, also now retired and find Progressive Christianity to fit rather well. I also find much in common with other religions including Buddhism. Welcome aboard and enjoy the flight. :)

Joseph

Welcome Padre. It is good to have you join us.

I was looking at your interests whilst doing your doctorate and I look forward to hearing more. One of the things I have noted is that the liberal wings of differing faiths seem to have more common ground. For example Ghandi was a Hindu but he would of also made a good progressive Christian (IMO). I think we can learn so much from each other.

Padre775, Salutations to the Divinity within you. I am very interested in Christian Mysticism and have been reading many of the earlier Christian comtemplatives or as I would call them Christian Mystics. I love their descriptions and I also see many similarities with the mystics in all religions. The experience seems to be the same, but the way, description and personalities are different. We can learn so much as Christians from other religions about ourselves, God, Christianity and the Christ experience. I am glad you landed safely here.