Not Allowing Kids To Get Gifts At Christmas - - It's Wrong

renewedfaith1964

I have an adult nephew (35 years old) who is married, with two daughters (ages 9 and 7). A few years ago his church announced that it was wrong to exchange gifts at Christmas. Claimed it took away from the true meaning of Christmas. As such, his girls no longer get gifts at Christmas. I feel really bad for them. This guy has a good heart, but is making a huge mistake. Your kids only get one childhood. I feel bad because one day he'll wake up and realize that it was a mistake to rob these kids of Christmas.

I need some advice. Should I talk to the guy and try to change his mind? If so, what should I say?

If he's committed to listening to his pastor then he should make his children understand. Though gift giving is kind of what it's all about at Xmas as it seems that if you buy into the incarnation that was the ultimate gift. But I have no idea what you should tell him as I don't know you or him. Discernment is something that can only be done when you are committing yourself in someone's life. It's not about giving an opinion or giving some your advice. It's a complicated situation.

I wonder what you could say to somebody who accepts what his church tells him to do without question.

Seems to me that he chooses his path. You could try to tell him that Christmas has a greater cultural meaning in modern times, but I question whether he'd want to hear that line of argument.

C. P.,

I would mind my own business on such an issue. I don't think any robbery is in progress here and they are his kids and he is an adult. Of course if he asks your opinion, i think it would be appropriate for you to give it and then bow out. It is enough to run ones own life and give opinions only when asked or where it is a more serious issue. Whose to say what is right or wrong on such an issue?

Just my experience and opinion.

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience, I can tell you that the best advice is to keep out of other parents' business regarding the raising of children - unless, of course, there is abuse.

This is particularly true when dealing with religious issues, because of the theist's desire to please the deity. Often, they place importance on the deity above their responsibility to their children. Sadly, no amount of reason will persuade deeply entrenched religious beliefs.

NORM