New Here, Former Fundamentalist

beachgal77

Hi, all. I grew up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist home and church, and my parents are still fundamentalists. I've just been through too much to NOT question.

I guess my ideas of God and Jesus have been totally reshaped over the last several years, because I still believe in God and Jesus. I just don't necessarily think Christianity is the ONLY way anymore. I see Jesus' message as one of radical love to ALL people. There are other religions out there that are right for other people, and mine is not to say that is wrong for them. Too many bad things have happened in our world as a result of fear, hate, and closed-mindedness.

I still believe that Jesus is the Son of God and I attend a fairly liberal United Methodist Church (Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors).

Anyway, here I am, at age 36 ... former fundamentalist evangelical, turned leftist/progressive.

Edited by beachgal77
  • Upvote 1

Welcome, BeachGal,

Your journey is very similar to my own (you can find it in a link under my profile if you need something to put you to sleep :) ). I also now attend a fairly liberal UMC which I love.

Join in on our conversations that interest you, or start one of your own!

Bill

Edited by BillM
  • Upvote 1

Beachgal,

Welcome to the forum. I hope it proves to be a blessing to your journey.

Pluralism is a key tenant of PC and all paths and personal experiences in the form of views or opinions on ones journey are welcome here. Of course , expressions must be respectful of those who may differ. Like you, it seems to me, open-mindedness does make ones time spent here more fruitful.

Looking forward to reading your insights,

Joseph

Beachgal, I also believe that God's plan works and it works in all the religions and even in individuals who don't believe in God. Joseph Campbell said, “Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome beachGal.

Please may I repeat what you said.

" I just don't necessarily think Christianity is the ONLY way anymore. I see Jesus' message as one of radical love to ALL people. There are other religions out there that are right for other people, and mine is not to say that is wrong for them. Too many bad things have happened in our world as a result of fear, hate, and closed-mindedness. "

Exactly (IMO) and history has shown this often.

Welcome :D