New From Wisconsin

Eusebius

I've visited this site a couple of times and finally decided to join. I'm a retired civil servant with several interests to keep me busy, one of which is the historical Jesus. I attend a United Methodist church, but don't really classify myself as a Christian, since I believe that the Christ was a myth created by early followers of Jesus to explain why he hadn't returned during their lifetimes. I also believe that the Christian Church has put Christ first, God second and pretty much forgotten about Jesus. Despite this, I believe that the Bible has alot to tell us, as long as we understand it as the product of humans expressing their faith and not literal fact.

I have become an Associate Member of the Westar Institute, the home of the Jesus Seminar and various other projects. I enjoy the scholarly pursuit of the bible, particularly as relates to the historical Jesus. I also enjoy the study of the history of early Christianity. Theologically, my beliefs are along the lines of Process Theology.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Eusebius, I am also interested interested in the early Christianity too. The more I think about things and read, the more I see myself as a Jesus follower rather than a Christian in the conservative sense of the word. I feel you will feel at home here with many like minded people. It is good to have you join us.

Welcome Eusebius,

I am no longer in a scholarly pursuit of the Bible but as you i think the Bible has much to tell us and is filled with inspiration although i find many other books do likewise . There is at least one interesting thread here concerning process theology and I think you will find many like-minded individuals here and some interesting threads to ponder and participate in..

Again welcome,

Joseph

Welcome Eusebius,

I find the historical Jesus and early Christianity interesting too. Having been raised a fundy before turning my back on it at 18, I wish I had a historical and sociological context with which to consider the bible, rather than the sole understanding of it literally being THE word of God. I find that I am catching up now and I find it all immensely interesting.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Paul