Life after death.

David9128

Hello, friends. I would like to apologize in advance if there are errors in the following text (I use a translator, I am not from an English-speaking country).

My question is:

What happens to a person after death? What is the perspective of a progressive Christian on this? I simply cannot understand: if even during life, with various physical injuries, a violation of a person’s conscious activity is possible, then what will happen when the brain is completely destroyed? Even if some aspect of consciousness remains, it will not be my full personality. What is the solution to the issue? Correct me if I'm wrong.

What happens to 'you' when one has a well-administered anesthetic?

The second law of thermodynamics makes me very skeptical about life after death. Life appears to behave as a 'catalyst' for increasing entropy.

And edit ... welcome David

Edited by romansh

20 hours ago, David9128 said:

Hello, friends. I would like to apologize in advance if there are errors in the following text (I use a translator, I am not from an English-speaking country).

My question is:

What happens to a person after death? What is the perspective of a progressive Christian on this? I simply cannot understand: if even during life, with various physical injuries, a violation of a person’s conscious activity is possible, then what will happen when the brain is completely destroyed? Even if some aspect of consciousness remains, it will not be my full personality. What is the solution to the issue? Correct me if I'm wrong.

For what it's worth - I don't think there needs to be a 'solution', David.  When we die our consciousness stops operating and we don't know we are dead.  That is eternity.  Kind of like when we go to sleep every night - If we don't dream then none of us really know we were even asleep.  That's what I expect death to be.  We will be effectively Resting In Peace, and be totally unaware we are doing so.

As you asked for a Progressive Christian view I'm not sure - as a Buddhist - if you are interested in my own perspective. 

However......

ANY metaphysical speculation is deemed inimicable to the "holy life" i.e. the path to the end of suffering (dukkha), to "unshakeable deliverance of mind", the heartwood of the Dharma.

Beyond a fundamental trust in Reality no "belief" is needed. 

😀

Edited by tariki
Cannot get rid of smillie!!

• 2 weeks later...

Progressive Christianity does not have a particular dogma concerning life after death. Speculation to me has no particular value . If pressed for an answer I would agree with tariki in his post above. Perhaps it is best left as a deliverence from the pull of the ego based  mind. I would find it beneficial to not allow my mind to dbate such an issue.

Joseph

PS I think death of this flesh will come soon enough to alleviate such an issue.