Hello!

BillF

I am Bill from Upstate NY. How would I describe my beleifs. I am a mixture of Liberal Christianity and Buddhism. I am looking forward to being here and learning more about Progressive Christianity.

I grew up Catholic, went to some Fundamentalist Churches for a while but it is not for me. There is so much of traditional/fundamentalist Christian theology that I disagree with but there is much of Christianity I am attracted to.

I have read much of the works of Matthew Fox, Spong, Marcus Borg, John Domminic Crossan et al.

Peace,

Bill

• Upvote 1

Welcome Bill,

Sounds like you are well read on Christian theology and i look forward to your written contributions to the forum. There are indeed compelling facets of Christianity that speak well as we delve deeper into study and gain perspectives that seem to be lacking in what many consider conventional/traditional /fundamental Christianity. Perhaps Christianity 2000 years ago spoken in different languages and times is quite unfamiliar with a lot of the current presentations of such? The past is sometimes difficult to resurrect without distortions but fortunately spiritual knowledge is not confined to any one book or person and it seems to me that insight can be gleaned from everything in and around us.

Joseph

Welcome Bill,

I grew up fundy before rejecting the whole lot at around 19yrs of age. I guess at 40 odd years of age I have been re-attracted to Christianity (to a degree) because I do see some elements that offer something good. I think much has been misinterpeted, misrepresented and blown out of all proprtion concerning Jesus, which is what led me away from God & Christianity in the first place. To a degree I even feel ripped off that I didn't have the choice at 19 yrs of age to hold true to some of those beliefs whilst having the courage to put aside the harmful ones.

But we live and learn and I am grateful I have come across this site and all of those authors you have mentioned.

I look forward to your participation and thoughts.

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Roy,I Iive in Cheshire in England, I am in my seventies I became a Christian about 20 years ago after several years in Buddism and have only recently discovered Bishop John Spong, I can accept almost every thing he says but if you accept everything what is left to try to convert anyone to Christianity, regards Roy..

Hello, my name is Roy,I Iive in Cheshire in England, I am in my seventies I became a Christian about 20 years ago after several years in Buddism and have only recently discovered Bishop John Spong, I can accept almost every thing he says but if you accept everything what is left to try to convert anyone to Christianity, regards Roy..

Roy, for me personally, the issue isn't whether or not to convert anyone, but to seek the truth.

I think a better question might be, if Spong's ideas and explanations are correct, then what does this mean for the common Christian understanding that everyone's life is useless & that they must believe the are a miserable creature doomed for an eternal Hell who needs to believe certain things to escape such a fate.