Imaynotbelonghere

sivard

If I am a Christian, it's not because of what I believe. While I subscribe to much of what Bishop Spong has to say in his books and postings, I find that my church experiences drive me away from religion. (And I attend a "progressive," accepting-of-all, evangelical Lutheran church.) What's not important to know about me is that I am a moderately well-educated, 74-year old, white male. I am retired but my lovely wife is still working and she's the one who is keeping us out of refridgerator boxes under the bridge. We recently moved back to Santa Fe, NM, from our home in Colorado, and started going back to the church that baptized our son. If I can find a home in any church, it should be this one.

What I can't get my head around is how thoroughly antagonizing even the most well-intentioned of liturgies seems to be. The hymns, the processionals, the prayers, everything but the sermons, all treat God as an external agent, to be petitioned as though He were powerful and loving and even somehow caring. And that really turns me off. Church isn't supposed to make you feel angry and upset, is it?

Well, I hope that what's written above isn't found to be offensive. But that's my story.

I am not at all offended Sivard. There is a joke about quakers that I heard once. Why do Quakers not sing hymns?. A. Because on every second line they would be asking themselves whether they agreed with the words of the hymn. So I would say your not alone in your thoughts.

I believe we each have our own personal journey and I would be pleased if in your journey you feel we can walk along together with us. There is no requirement to agree on everything.

May I just warmly welcome you to the forum.

Welcome sivard,

I'm sure you will find this place both interesting and fulfilling. People here won't find you offensive unless you're downright derogative or rude. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Paul

Sivard,

Welcome to a community where you won't have to listen to those hymns. :) Home you feel and home and grow with us.

"Church isn't supposed to make you feel angry and upset, is it? " Perhaps, only if you allow it that power over you . It seems to me, if one no longer perceives opposing views as a threat to ones own views, anger will not be present.

Joseph

Wow! Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the many kind and gentle thoughts. What I would like to do, in another post in another forum, is to elaborate on some of my admittedly confused struggles. But I do appreciate very much all of you who took the time to respond.

Archived