One Way Or Many?

spiritseeker

It seems to me that perhaps there are two words. Opinion and judgement. In my view, there is a subtle difference as the words are not the same and possibly what some may refer to as judgement may be merely opinion and the word judgement in religious context may then not be applicable.

Just an opinion on my part,

Joseph

Many times I have noticed, that once discernment is brought up, it tends to replace prejudistic judgements - as in we are not judging you evil, we are discerning you as evil. Which goes to what one's orientation is when "judging" - mercy and grace or self-righteousness.

It seems to be that a good, healthy progression could be seen as undestanding, then opinion, then judgement, then discernment, with what I think has been adequetly and accuratly expressed in these posts, that is Jesus' attitude toward judging as the ideal goal that is acheivable.

Basically, it seems to me three different, yet related words (opinion, judgement, discernment) but with potentially serious theological, philosophical, and maybe even political consequences.

And yet we degressed (or did we go on a necessary or beneficial tangent which will prove conducive to this discussion.

One path or many?

In addition to saying what PC's orientation is, can we also infer correctly what isn't PC's orientation. From that, can we then determine whether a particular mode of thinking, spiritual orientation, or philosophical approach is bound towards spiritual attainment, union with the Divine, ultimate realty, what might mythologically refered to as the sacred marriage?

• 2 months later...

I am just more curious to find out if people believe there is only one way to God or are there many?

Many...

... is it bad that my answer is so short compared to everyone else? :)

I am just more curious to find out if people believe there is only one way to God or are there many?

Many.

Our God is infinite. Science tells us that in a universe of infinite size, any given point within that universe will be the exact centre.

Similarly, I am happy to accept that with an infinite God, any given orthodoxy of faith will be at the exact centre of God's orthodoxy.

This may raise issues of evil, and whether an orthodoxy built on destruction and murder can be at the centre of God's orthodoxy. This is for each person to determine for himself. I personally think we can separate the evil behaviour from the underlying intent. The first might be outside our comprehension, but not the second. No part of creation is outside his love, mercy and compassion.

Archived