Greetings; New & Apprehensive!

Greetings to all!

My name is ...(*points to screen name*), 23 years old, married stay-at-home-mama of two.

When it comes to faith, it's been a bumpy road from the beginning.

I was abused as a child and when the gravity of the situation finally sunk in,

I felt abandoned by God and questioned his existence. If there were a God,

why would he allow such things to happen to a defenseless child? Why would

he allow all the other horrible aspects of human nature to continue?

Throughout the years numerous devastating events have happened in my life

and if I was considered a non-believer as a kid, I bet you'll find my picture

in the dictionary under "atheist" now! Deep down, though, I want to believe.

I have studied religions and belief systems to the point of obsession, trying

to find the "one" that fills all the voids. I have yet to find it... and that is why I am here.

The thought of Christianity being progressive or liberal is intriguing since I have always

considered it as close-minded and exclusive. I hope I can be proven wrong!

Nice to meet everyone in advance! :)

Welcome ChristinahasWings,

I don't know if you will find your answer in religion but I have a certainty inside that if you continue to look for God you will find God within yourself as well as others. Sounds like you have had a trying upbringing and I am certain when you get past the past a new life in God will open up. Whether it is here or somewhere else I believe your search will not be in vain because it seems to me to be sincere. We are all as on a journey but it seems to me that there is no where that one must go to realize the reality of God. To me God is everpresent in the now. Enjoy yourself here as I'm sure you will find encouragement and support from fellow members on the same journey.

Love Joseph

Greetings to all!

My name is ...(*points to screen name*), 23 years old, married stay-at-home-mama of two.

When it comes to faith, it's been a bumpy road from the beginning.

I was abused as a child and when the gravity of the situation finally sunk in,

I felt abandoned by God and questioned his existence. If there were a God,

why would he allow such things to happen to a defenseless child? Why would

he allow all the other horrible aspects of human nature to continue?

Throughout the years numerous devastating events have happened in my life

and if I was considered a non-believer as a kid, I bet you'll find my picture

in the dictionary under "atheist" now! Deep down, though, I want to believe.

I have studied religions and belief systems to the point of obsession, trying

to find the "one" that fills all the voids. I have yet to find it... and that is why I am here.

The thought of Christianity being progressive or liberal is intriguing since I have always

considered it as close-minded and exclusive. I hope I can be proven wrong!

Nice to meet everyone in advance! :)

I am 60 years old. In recent months I have revisited the effects of having been abused as a child. Somehow, I do not know why, I could not be driven away from God and into atheism. Then one day, I came to a simple conclusion. I can choose. I don't need permission from somewhere else. In a very important sense, choice was returned to me whereas the abuse took choice away from me. Wishing you well, and welcome.

Hi ChristinaHasWings,

I think of myself as a heterdox Protestant. What I mean is that I am an active member of a Presbyterian congregation and have been an active Protestant layperson most of my adult life. But my beliefs are outside of what I see as the norm. However, they are not too different from Protestant scholars such as Marcus Borg and John Shelby Spong. I think that whether or not Christianity works for you should depend more on how you feel you relate to it than what you sense that others think you should believe. I do think it is helpful to be part of a community, that is a fellowship, church, congregation, or some other organized group, but I think you should choose such a group very carefully, lest you find that others are defining you. There are many "mainstream" denominations that have progressive groups within them, such as the Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Disciples, and Congregationalists. There is also Unity and the Unitarian Universalists.

I wish you well in your search.

Christina, you already understand the essence of faith when you seek God in spite of your own experience of injustice. Don't be afraid to say what you need to say. We're here to support you on your journey.

Love,

Fatherman

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

I don't find my belief in God to be something I choose. It simply exists. It may be different for others. That being said I will say that one can be an atheist and be whole. I don't think a belief in God makes one whole. I say this because you may find that you do not believe in God no matter how much you may want to or try to. Ever where your journey takes I am happy to walk along side you.

Archived