A place for quotes :-)

romansh

Jesus stands at the middle of history, pointing at the kingdom of heaven, and the church sucks on his fingertip.

Supposedly by Alan Watts.  I have not been able to verify. But the quote has an interesting point to make regardless whoever said it.

Edited by romansh
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Simon Blackburn 

Being an infidel, that is, just having no faith, I do not have to prove anything. I have no faith in the Loch Ness Monster, but do not go about trying to prove that it does not exist, although there are certainly overwhelming arguments that it does not.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I came across this quote yesterday ... not sure what to make of it ...

I think the notion that the species can be improved in some way, that everyone could live in harmony, is a really dangerous idea. Those who are afflicted with this notion are the first ones to give up their souls, their freedom. Your desire that it be that way will enslave you and make your life vacuous. -- Cormac McCarthy

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

433527672_1625810634830304_3648968924104

anonymous

A belief isn't something you choose to believe
A belief is something you can't choose not to believe
Edited by romansh

8 hours ago, romansh said:

A belief isn't something you choose to believe
A belief is something you can't choose not to believe

A good example of this is Father Christmas or Santa.  As a child you believed he existed - indeed, the evidence was there - but try believing in him again now that you're an adult!  That is precisely how I feel about mainstream Christianity that says I must believe Jesus mission was to come to this planet to die for my sins as a human sacrifice to God - there's just too much water under the bridge now for me to believe that story again, like I did once upon a time.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:41 PM, romansh said:

I came across this quote yesterday ... not sure what to make of it ...

I think the notion that the species can be improved in some way, that everyone could live in harmony, is a really dangerous idea. Those who are afflicted with this notion are the first ones to give up their souls, their freedom. Your desire that it be that way will enslave you and make your life vacuous. -- Cormac McCarthy

At a fundamental level any thought of a need to improve (of ourselves or of others) is an attack upon acceptance. Leading to revolution - which is just what it means, a revolving wheel. New winners and new losers, but also "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" as Pete Townsend has it!

True and genuine acceptance is - paradoxically - the way to transformation.

Sadly, more often than not, our "acceptance" is a sham - we "accept" with our eyes upon the change it will bring! 

Therefore...... "No-calculation"!

This all involves mercy, forgiveness, and so much more. The associations and correspondences are there to be found across the whole world of our Faith Traditions. 

What we have to be is what we are.

17119621807689128777117417030905_11zon_11zon.jpg.171d3011d84a05788bd931a42a9a515c.jpg

On 3/31/2024 at 8:21 AM, PaulS said:

A good example of this is Father Christmas or Santa.  As a child you believed he existed.....

Hey, what are you trying to tell me?

😀

14 hours ago, tariki said:

Hey, what are you trying to tell me?

😀

Um, err, no, I was referring to the Australian Father Christmas, Derek!  The English one is for real, of course! :)

11 hours ago, PaulS said:

Um, err, no, I was referring to the Australian Father Christmas, Derek!  The English one is for real, of course! :)

Thanks for the clarification. 

😀