You Might Be a Humanist If…(1)

17 minutes ago, David Sundaram said:

Also obvious to me in the short time I've know you.

Well thank you David! 

You grow on me!

( I need sympathy today, having just had our "old folks" Christmas Dinner and afterwards a Christmas sing song by a guy who looked remarkably like David Brent [Ricky Gervais] )

PS You may not know the character, he was in the sitcom "The Office", a UK show. 

Edited by tariki
Added PS
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, PaulS said:

David,

Please don't be pedantic.  Whether you used the word 'prevented' or not has no impact on what you were claiming.  Whether I "prevent" you getting a fair hearing, or whether you "can't get past my reactivity...to get a fair hearing", all without a single comment from me, is just semantics.  

I don't have time for it. It won't be tolerated for long on this Forum. Don't do it again. Thankyou.

Paul

I've been reading the replies of many on this forum.  This guy 'David' has already shown to be the type that causes people to leave.

2 hours ago, harmonicat said:

I've been reading the replies of many on this forum.  This guy 'David' has already shown to be the type that causes people to leave.

I must admit I read David a little differently. (From my perspective) He thinks he has found some valuable truth, which is fair enough. And he wants to share it, which is also fair enough. But he is not willing to have his "truth" tested. I think that might be true for all of us to some degree.  

The trick is to be "pushy" without being overbearing. Sometimes I stray and that too is OK.

7 hours ago, harmonicat said:

I think there are a lot of Christians who 'know' they are right and will not even allow themselves to entertain a challenging counter-point.  I imagine I was like that too at some stages of when I was a Christian.  I have no issue with people being convinced they hold the one and only truth, but like you allude to about driving people away, sometimes a decision has to be made about whether to let somebody participate here or not.  I did caution David but they seem to have chosen to disregard my caution.  Again, each to their own. I may get it wrong, but oh well, at the end of the day we are not playing for sheep stations here.

And I might add, there is some consideration and leeway given to long term members and contributors here who have, over the years, demonstrated a preparedness to accept that other people have alternate points of view, even if on the odd occasion they stray a little. :)

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

terms of service