Which New Testament book do you agree with the most?

Lucian Hodoboc

If you had to choose just one of the New Testament Books (the 4 Gospels, Acts, the epistles of Paul, Peter, John, James, Judas and Revelation) that resonates with you the most, which one would it be? Feel free to share your thoughts and arguments about this issue in as much detail as you can.

Lucian,

I don't have a favorite as I believe all have to be read using the insights of biblical scholars for the greatest appreciation. However, I like Paul's letters for their proximity to the historical Jesus, I like Mark for his simplicity and I like Matthew for his presentation of Jesus as the new Moses. Revelations holds no real meaning for me and Acts strays far from Paul's own accounts even though he is one whose acts are discussed. I do like John's gospel but recognize this Jesus is more divine being rather than flesh and blood human being.

5 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

If you had to choose just one of the New Testament Books (the 4 Gospels, Acts, the epistles of Paul, Peter, John, James, Judas and Revelation) that resonates with you the most, which one would it be? Feel free to share your thoughts and arguments about this issue in as much detail as you can.

Hebrews.  It is the key to understanding Jesus' purpose and the necessity of the incarnation. 

The Didache, the Gospel of Thomas, the Apocalypse of Peter, the Lost Epistle to the Corinthians and the 3rd Letter to the Corinthians, and 1 Clement.  I like these because they are a sample of early, accepted Christian writings which hundreds of years later didn’t make the cut of the cannon because of how beliefs had developed since they were first written.  So for me it’s hard not to regard the NT more as man’s word than God’s.  I respect that people felt compelled by the writings that did make it into the NT, just as others may have felt compelled by their preferred books that didn’t make it into the NT, but I don’t think majority rule was nessecarily the best way to determine the makeup of the NT.  Well, I should say I don’t have faith that the people who decided what version of the NT we should receive, were accurate or right.

But if I had to choose from what became the finalised version of the NT then I would say the earliest writings of Paul.  As misguided as I think he is, I think he had his heart in the right place in his attempts to encourage people to live a life he thought would be beneficial for them.  He lived his beliefs so I give him credit for that.