Am I Not Progressive?

mike rhodes

I believe in almost everything the progressive christian movement stands for, especially equality and social justice. But I still believe Jesus died for my sins. I believe in this atonement. Does this disqualify me as a progressive christian? Because I don't necessarily agree with Spong and Borg? I thank you for your feedback in advance!

Mike,

No it doesn't disqualify you at all. . Progressive Christianity is an individual progressive journey and no one should be forced to accept that which he/she cannot in good conscience.accept. Neither Spong nor Borg has all the answers nor in my experience would they tell you you have to believe as they do to be considered a progressive Christian.. Both are associated with this organization and a closer study of their works would confirm this.

Regards,

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in almost everything the progressive christian movement stands for, especially equality and social justice. But I still believe Jesus died for my sins. I believe in this atonement. Does this disqualify me as a progressive christian? Because I don't necessarily agree with Spong and Borg? I thank you for your feedback in advance!

First, let me say that I don't think believing in atonement theory "disqualifies" you as a Progressive Christian. I think it fits quite well into the faith tradition of Christianity. It is neither a requirement as a belief, or a disqualifier.

However, since you bring it up, what about it (atonement) do you find compelling, if I can use that word? Do you think that one should believe in atonement if one is to call themselves Christian? I know there are many who have this belief.

NORM