New To The Forum

SteveS55

Hi,

My name is Steve, from Long Beach, CA. I am formerly Roman Catholic (contemplative background), who is now studying and practicing Therevada Buddhism. I do not identify as either Christian or Buddhist, because at my age, labels aren't terribly important. I think there is something to be learned from both traditions, but I've grown weary of Theism and all of the talk about "God is this, God is that". In my view whatever "God" is, is undetermined and unknown. Therefore, there is no reason to constantly speak of God. I guess I'm more interested in trying to preserve the truth with the hope that I will one day actually discover it.

I've read a little of and about Bishop Spong, and find myself drawn to some of his insights.

Peace.

Steve

• Upvote 1

Welcome Steve,

Christianity and Buddhism to me are a good combination. Though many may see them as in opposition, i see the study of both complimentary and enlightening of each other. At my age, i also agree that labels aren't terribly important. or even necessary for some. I hope you find much wisdom and edification as you read through this site. Also i am looking forward to reading your contribution of ideas and views.

Joseph

Welcome Steve,

Marcus Borg wrote a little coffee table book comparing the sayings of Jesus with the sayings of Buddah. I think both of these men spoke great truths which have been buried by the human nature to complicate things!

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness". - Dalai Lama

I hope you enjoy participating here Steve.

Cheers

Paul

• Upvote 1