Progressive Christianity And Politics

Mike

I’d first like to note that I am loathe to wed my religious views to any explicit political theory; I’m very wary of even including the two in the same discussion. As such I'm interested here in talking not about politics nor theory but reality. How closely is PC tied to politics - as in any specific trend in political thinking (like, oh I don't know, progressive politics?). Now I realize that PC has a general vision for justice, equality and compassion for all, but just how is this translating into real life scene of politics and activism?

The actions of the "Christian right" over the last couple of decades makes progressives a bit gunshy about mixing religion and politics, but there is a long history of such folks doing just that. In the English Civil War of the 1640's there were several groups that sided with various factions in promoting what was for that time a radical form of equality. Generally they were deceived by their leaders, both political and military, but they have been around in one form or another ever since. They can be found in several British reform groups of the last few centuries. In the US there were the abolitionists, the Social Gospelers of one hundred years or so ago, the civil rights movement, and the various peaceand justice movements of the last several decades. They may not explicitly align themselves with a specific political movement or party, but they tend toward the liberal end of the political spectrum. However, I'm sure there are folks who call themselves progressive Christians over a wide range of the political spectrum, and there may be those who don't see there religious convictions affecting their positions on public policy at all. For me, that "general vision for justice, equality and compassion for all" often translates into political activism. But that doesn't always work out as well as I would hope.

Thanks,

The reason why I ask is because I get the feeling I'm not politically in line with progressive Christians generally. Theologically and socially I'm 'liberal', but when it comes to my view of government I am usually not on the left end of the spectrum (I suppose I'm closer to a 'classical liberal'). I suppose I was asking whether PC as a movement is actually tied in, implicitly or otherwise, with any distinguishable political agenda or ideology, which Don did address in his response.

Any other thoughts are welcome. XA brought up CrossLeft. Anyone know this site's relation to TCPC?

Peace to you,

Mike

Archived