Sign in to follow this  
JosephM

No self? Then who or what is doing the seeking?

It seems to me it is helpful to realize that there is no i identity that is seeing, seeking or doing anything but rather an impersonal aspect of consciousness doing the exploring. 

I see the mind and its contents as a product of the world.Thoughts come in streams and are to me not personal and for that matter neither is the body. Both are a product of the temporal world. If the mind is closely observed for some length of time it is my experience that one will realize that one is the witness and experiencer of the mind and its thoughts and body senses only rather than being the body or mind itself. It breaks the identification of self with mind as i. This seems to move the point of observation from what is being witnessed to that of witnessing. This leads to a realization that the experiencing is not being done by a who or a what or someone ( self) but rather that something is functioning as an impersonal observer/experiencer which is unchanged by the content of that which is experienced.  The contents of the mind is form but to be visible it has to occur against a background of non-form just as sound must be against a background of silence. to be perceived. The background seems to me to be a field of consciousness and is formless. It is illuminated by light which we might call pure awareness or God.

Edited by JosephM
spelling

I think I see where you're coming from Joseph.  But why do you think this is not a natural occurrence for everyone.  Why do you think people have to 'develop' this 'ability'?  It seems to me that if this was 'real' that it should be a natural state of things.  So I question whether your point is a reality (which I"m sure it is for you) or is it a way of thinking you have developed yourself and now fits for you personally as reality.  Please, I ask this with respect as trying to understand and do not mean to insult if it at all seems that way.

I'm also familiar with this experience, Joseph - and there was a time when I thought that simply recognising the act of witnessing or observing rather than being the body or mind itself was enough.

But a bunch of tough questions hit me at that point, that perhaps best starts with: okay, where to from here? 

Is it a case of rejecting the temporal world as illusion, dismissing thoughts and body senses, and aiming to return to the oneness that is pure awareness? If so, then why is consciousness in the temporal world to start with? Or is it the temporal world in the field of consciousness? (Sorry, I'm not clear on your description)

Or do we resume our place in this temporal world and aim to guide the rest of consciousness to recognise this oneness with us? If this is the case, then what are we expecting to happen in the amazing event that we do accomplish this global sense of unity in consciousness? What does this accomplishment look like in the temporal world? How does it work? And will we have enough time to achieve it, or is the 'lure' of the temporal world working against us?

So what I'm really asking is: What is the ongoing nature of the relationship between pure awareness (God), the temporal world and this field of consciousness?