What Book Of Fiction Should I Read

If you happen to be a sci-fi/fantasy fan, and if like me you grew up wanting to escape to some magical land, then you may find Lev Grossman's The Magicians (and sequel, The Magician King) as surprising and delightful as my wife and I did. It's "Harry Potter for grownups," only that doesn't say enough. It's "what if your dreams of magic being real came true, but you were still the same unhappy person?"

I don't read fiction really, so I'm probably not the best person to question. But one book I really enjoyed was 'The Gods of Pegana', a modern mythology authored by Lord Dunsany. Written early 20th century, quite brief, Dunsany's prose is superb.

Edited by Mike

Is Jean Auel's Earth's Children seriies the same as, by another name, Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of Horses...? Or different?

Jenell

It's the series, Jenell:

The clan of the cave bear

The valley of horses

The mammoth hunters

The plains of passage

The shelters of stone

The land of painted caves

rhanks, Paul...from your list , there are a couple later ones I've missed....I used to read a lot more fiction than now....in some ways, 6 yrs of college experience severely damaged some of my reading enjoyment. Kind of like years ago I took up pet grooming because I loved working with animalsm spent nearly 30 yrs at it...still love my animals, but my dog's shaggy coats and long toenails are shameful.

Jenell

Mike, did you read King Elfland's Daughter by Dunsany? That made someone's top ten list for all-time best.

Paul and Jenell, thanks for reminding me of jean Auel. I read most if not all of her books. They would be enjoyable a second time around.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series seems as engrossing as the Enders Game series by Orson Scott Card. Tempting.

Terry Brookes Shannara series - that's more than I want to get involved in. Wikipedia has a "reading plan" for new readers!

River God by Wilbur Smith and the Hyksos invasion - my kind of book.

I have only watched mysteries and rarely read them. I would watch Agatha Christie whenever she's on.

Lev Grossman's The Magicians (and sequel, The Magician King) - these are at the top of my list after reading the reviews.

My Uncle recommended Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry - way too serious.

Thanks all!

Dutch

There's is also Terry Brookes much shorter, less complex, "Landover" series....for those seeking the experience of moving from this ordinary reality of the life we are familiar with, to step across into another realm that is magical...

Jenell

I have so, so many books stored away, that I read years ago, boxes and crates in attic and storage room...I really should pull them out, take something of an inventory, and offer them to others that would enjoy them. Or even set them out in a yard book sale or something. I recently did pass along my set of V.C. Andrew's 'Flowers in the Attic' series, as well as "Clan of the Cave Bear" and "Valley of Horses." I went through a fantasy/sci-fi reading phase quite a few years back, a bunch of that stuff here somewhere, too, even an old boxed set of Tolkien. That's not even to get into such things as classic works of philosophy and other non-fiction! And only God knows what else is around here somewhere!

Jenell

Btw, for anybody anywhere near, or even occasionally passing through, the little town of Cleveland, Texas, just north of Houston, there is the most AMAZING resale/thrift store there, that have a steady supply of shelves and shelves of books, at cheap cheap cheap. I don't know where/how thet get them all, but seem to have some kind of steady deals going on to get large numbers of discarded library books, including many fairly recent best selling fiction, as well as recent college books, not only text books, but also many of the sort that are commonly assigned as secondary required reading by college course instructors, everythhig from literature, creative writing and other English, to historical, philosophical, and whatever.

Jenell

• 4 months later...

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff

Christopher Moore

Also Fool is a great read

And if you have not read them already

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

and

Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Douglas Adams