..........the Mystery Remains!

jerryb

The greatest weakness in fundamentalism is it's insistence that the bible is "God's Word".

"I have my doubts about certainty".

In the book,"The Laughing Jesus"....Timothy Freke writes..."It is when we forget the absolute mystery of our existence,that we become lost in our narraritives and fall asleep in the life-dream". And doubt is the prerequisite for awakening."

What are your thoughts on this?

Jerry

Hi Jerry. Good to hear from you.

This is a valid statement. As exemplified by the rationale for this website, we're supposed to be here to ask questions. But my observation is that not much of that's going on here these days. Why... do you think ?

flow.... :unsure:

Hi Jerry. Good to hear from you.

This is a valid statement. As exemplified by the rationale for this website, we're supposed to be here to ask questions. But my observation is that not much of that's going on here these days. Why... do you think ?

flow.... :unsure:

Hi Flow,

In answer to your question...I don't know for sure, but I suspect some people may be afraid of what the answer my be. Some answers that I have personally had to face recently,have shaken the very foundations of what I was taught by the church in my early years.

Maybe some people are hesitant to leave their comfort zone, but IT HAS TO BE DONE if we are to maintain any spiritual integrity at all.

Thanks for your very thoughtful reply,

Jerry

Jerry-thanks for your quote. This sounds very paradoxical to me. Something that Jesus might challenge us to chew on. Thanks Much. bob ve :)

Greetings bob ve,

Your quite right about it being paradoxical....but I must admit to loving paradox,especially at this stage in my spiritual walk.

I looked up the definition of 'paradox' to refresh my memory, and it said,"a statement that seems contrary

to common sense,and yet is PERHAPS TRUE". I guess it's the 'PERHAPS part that keeps me going....and

'common sense' sounds a bit boring,don't you think?

Blessings my friend'

Jerry

The greatest weakness in fundamentalism is it's insistence that the bible is "God's Word".

"I have my doubts about certainty".

In the book,"The Laughing Jesus"....Timothy Freke writes..."It is when we forget the absolute mystery of our existence,that we become lost in our narraritives and fall asleep in the life-dream". And doubt is the prerequisite for awakening."

What are your thoughts on this?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I see the the greastest weakness in fundamentalism as that which they perceive their greatest strength. If one perceives the bible to be the greatest strength then that limitation is ones weakness. If one perceives the portrayal of God with the attributes of man then that limited perception is ones greatest weakness. I think in general man's perceptions and the inability of his limited carnal mind to discern truth from falsehood is his greatest weakness and the cause of fundamentalism in any religion. Just a thought to consider.

Love in Christ,

JM

It seems to me that the inerrancy of the Bible is nothing but a pious wish. I guess it's nice to have some always reliable authority. Catholics have the Pope; Evangelicals have the Bible. But both doctrines, it seems to be, are mere assertions. How can either be proved?

One thing I have thought about recently (maybe I'm slow) about fundamentalism is this: IF you accept Jesus into your heart as your Lord and Savior you are saved. They'll also say grace isn't conditional. I'd agree with the later. But IF is a condition. In fact, IF is the most conditional beginnign of a phrase that you could come up with.

--des

One thing I have thought about recently (maybe I'm slow) about fundamentalism is this: IF you accept Jesus into your heart as your Lord and Savior you are saved. They'll also say grace isn't conditional. I'd agree with the later. But IF is a condition. In fact, IF is the most conditional beginnign of a phrase that you could come up with.

--des

That is how many become universalists. If Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for the salvation of all humanity than it IS sufficient. If one is going to add "you have to accept Jesus into your heart as Lord & Savior" then suddenly Jesus' sacrifice is not sufficient. The reasoning is the same. Either it is or it isn't. If it is then there should be no "if."

Guest Michaeljc4
It seems to me that the inerrancy of the Bible is nothing but a pious wish. I guess it's nice to have some always reliable authority. Catholics have the Pope; Evangelicals have the Bible. But both doctrines, it seems to be, are mere assertions. How can either be proved?

Neither can be proven (although if you go and talk to Orthodox Catholics, they have themselves quite convinced that every assertion of the Catholic Church has indeed been proven). People crave certainty, Jeannot, and "reliable authority" gives them certainty. Who wants to walk around constantly questioning everything all of the time? Wouldn't it be easier to accept a creed of some kind, or the authority of a well-regarded religious leader (a pope, a bishop, a preacher)? Then not only do you have some certainty about life's mysteries, but you get to be an "us" and define everyone else as a "them."

I read a qreat quote yesterday from Ciscero: "Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it will." Looking for the truth is hard work, and often times leaves us feeling more confused, and less certain, than we were before we started. I suspect that many people like to have truth discovered for them, rather than search for it themselves. You have much more time to watch television that way. :D

Neither can be proven (although if you go and talk to Orthodox Catholics, they have themselves quite convinced that every assertion of the Catholic Church has indeed been proven). People crave certainty, Jeannot, and "reliable authority" gives them certainty. Who wants to walk around constantly questioning everything all of the time? Wouldn't it be easier to accept a creed of some kind, or the authority of a well-regarded religious leader (a pope, a bishop, a preacher)? Then not only do you have some certainty about life's mysteries, but you get to be an "us" and define everyone else as a "them."

I read a qreat quote yesterday from Ciscero: "Seek the truth, come whence it may, cost what it will." Looking for the truth is hard work, and often times leaves us feeling more confused, and less certain, than we were before we started. I suspect that many people like to have truth discovered for them, rather than search for it themselves. You have much more time to watch television that way. :D

Hi Michael,

Some pretty profound thoughts. I guess when you asked the question" Who wants to walk around constantly questioning everything all the time"....I thought about myself. And I guess I also "crave certainty".

But the alternative to constantly searching for truth,SCARES ME TO DEATH! Because if I don't keep searching,it means that I think that I have "Arrived". And of course...that's what the poor deluded souls who blew up The World Trade Center thought.

I like your quote from Ciscero,especially the part that says.."come whence it may". That means that I can learn from everyone at least a little something to help me in my spiritual quest.Thank you for your good thoughts my friend.

Blessings,

Jerry

Guest Michaeljc4

Here is another great quote that I came across today (I am a sucker for quotes): "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it." French author Andre Gide.

Sounds like good advice to me. I find that I like the questions much more than the answers.

Here is another great quote that I came across today (I am a sucker for quotes): "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it." French author Andre Gide.

Sounds like good advice to me. I find that I like the questions much more than the answers.

Hi Michael,

When you said that you like the questions more than the answers...I relate to that. You,ve heard of 'The Answer Man?' Well....I guess you can call me 'The Question Man'.

Blessings to you my friend,

Jerry

Archived