Optimistic Nihilism

PaulS

Just thought I'd share a version of philosophy that I have currently warmed to.  I have come to understand that life is perhaps meaningless in the sense that there is no deity or 'source' that has any thoughts or plans for us.  There is no afterlife, so really, what is the point of living a life, other than the three score years and ten that we get to experience existence.  I'm not bothered by there being no afterlife - to me I imagine death will be much like before I was born - i.e. I have no knowledge of it and won't realize I am dead like I didn't realize that I hadn't been born yet - so I don't fear it and can appreciate that this is what has happened to billions of individuals before me.

A lot of people seemed to think this point of view was quite dark and miserable, although I must say, that is not how I feel about it. Some people would go to that old chestnut that if there was no afterlife or 'source' that mattered, then we would live selfish lives of raping and pillaging, but I must say that that has never crossed my mind.  I see living a selfish and harmful lifestyle as detrimental to living a purposeful and happy life during this period of existence.  Like the Golden Rule expressed in the Hindu faith some 2000 BCE - “One should always treat others as they wish to be treated".  That makes sense if we don't want to live a life of always looking over our shoulder and living in angst and worry.

So I did a little bit of reading and found 'Optimistic Nihilism' very much met how I am feeling about life currently.

To borrow a definition I found on the web: "Optimistic nihilism views the belief that there is no underlying meaning to life from a perspective of hope. It’s not that we’re doomed to live in a meaningless universe--it’s that we get the chance to experience ourselves and the universe we share. The optimistic nihilist looks at a world lacking meaning and purpose and sees the opportunity to create their own".

The belief that life has no inherent meaning or purpose can free us from the constraints of societal expectations and allow us to create our own meaning and purpose.

For example, if you embrace the optimistic views of nihilism, you may find that the freedom and uncertainty that comes with the philosophy allows you to explore new ways of living and thinking for yourself.

You will think of life as an experiment in progress and explore different lifestyles, hobbies, and careers to find what brings you the most fulfilment and satisfaction.

Has anybody else ever given optimistic nihilism a second thought?

Cheers

Paul

Back from my travels yesterday.

I broadly agree with what you say above, not keen on the label, but that is roughly where I am.

Fundamental particles have certain attractions or affinities, or perhaps repulsions. People are pretty much the same but very much more complicated; we give names to these complications as you have mentioned: hobbies, lifestyles, careers, fulfillment, dislikes, war, etc.

• Like 1