CHURCHianity- NOT "Christianity"!

theMadJW

21 hours ago, theMadJW said:

EVERY online 'Christian' forum has me banned after QUOTING JESUS!

You won't get banned here for quoting Jesus.  But quoting Jesus is not that hard to do - anyone who has a bible can quote what Jesus is alleged to have said.  Whether the sources are accurate or not, and how they are interpreted, is another matter entirely.

10 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Interpretation- what it SAYS or religious dogma.

What do you think of when you here the word "hell"?

My experience is everybody, JW's included, will have a belief that the way 'they' read the text is correct.  Clearly there are wide and diverse opinions and beliefs about what texts actually mean (and I'm not even touching here on whether the writings are accurate copies of what was actually said or even in fact if words were said, if the speaker's own 2000 year old understanding is actually correct).  Discussing different views can be interesting, but I don't think anybody's view is ever formed without some sort of conditioning or influence from other factors.  So you might call it 'dogma' whereas I would call it 'influence'.

When I think of the word 'hell' I think of all the different understandings and interpretations that people will tell you Hell means.  I also think that Hell as mentioned in the NT is never mentioned in the OT.  I also recognize how Hell as it is sometimes thought of in the NT was never a thought bubble inn ancient Israel's mind until a hundred or so years before Jesus existed and was only introduced as a Greek influence.  So yeah, when it comes to hearing the word 'hell', I think a lot of different things.

10 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Paul, then you think there is no truth in the Bible. You are DEAD wrong!

If this is how you interpret what Paul has written, why should I pay attention to your studies of ancient documents?

Edited by romansh

15 minutes ago, theMadJW said:

You pay attention when science says dinos became birds....

OK ... I am getting a sense of why other websites have ejected you.  

But do you actually have a point that you are trying to make?

14 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Paul, then you think there is no truth in the Bible. You are DEAD wrong!

Firstly I should point out that I never said there is NO truth in the Bible - in fact I think there is truth in some of the stories and myths and recollections that are shared by the various authors in the Bible.  Personally, for instance, I think there is truth to the concept that we should treat one another as we would like to be treated - that seems generally a good model to aspire to, in my opinion.

But do I think that homsexuals are an abomination, that women should be subject to men, that it is okay to beat one's slave, that humans were 'created' in their current form from mud - No, I don't, but I know many Christians who think this is 'the' truth that the Bible upholds (you may not, I don't know).  So for me, there are things in the bible that I don't consider to be 'truths'.  To me it all comes down to interpretation, understanding, and often, what influences our thinking.

4 hours ago, theMadJW said:

You pay attention when science says dinos became birds....

Tell me MadJW, do you pay attention to science when it determines that jet propulsion, combined  a certain way with what science has taught us about aerodynamics, works well when it comes to flying across a continent?  

It shouldn't be science versus religion, it should be that science can empirically demonstrate certain things, whereas religion 'believes' certain things.  I doubt there are many (if any) non-religious scientists that disagree with evolution.  Clearly, with something like +45,000 different denominations, there are a wide variety of interpretations of the Bible and what it means to be a 'true' Christian and how to interpret all of the Bible.

56 minutes ago, theMadJW said:

The subject is Churchianty, and how it doesn't follow the Bible, like you.

Well, you haven't actually been real big on discussing 'Churchianity' in this thread that you started on the topic, and it was you that raised the issue about dinosaurs and birds here, and it was you that was telling me that I thought there was no truth in the bible, ....so maybe you could try and communicate a little about your subject?