Stephen Colbert

Yeah, I read that article as well.

Based on my interactions with conservative fans of Colbert, I think some of them really are that clueless, and others aren't. Some people seem to know he's intentionally a parody, but still thinks he stumbled on and says "the politically incorrect truth" on a regular basis (even if he doesn't know it's the truth).

Colbert is extremely fascinating when he turns his attention toward religion. He's quite left-leaning politically and is a proud Catholic who teaches Sunday School. His talents at deflating the self-righteous are well suited to religious demagogues, but at the same time he's not fully predictable. A few years back he interviewed Bart Ehrman, and kinda-sorta dropped character and started genuinely disagreeing with the demythologized account of Christianity he was offering.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure if this was 100% appropriate for the forum, but I felt like sharing. If it wasn't, I apologize.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I read that article as well.

Based on my interactions with conservative fans of Colbert, I think some of them really are that clueless, and others aren't. Some people seem to know he's intentionally a parody, but still thinks he stumbled on and says "the politically incorrect truth" on a regular basis (even if he doesn't know it's the truth).

Colbert is extremely fascinating when he turns his attention toward religion. He's quite left-leaning politically and is a proud Catholic who teaches Sunday School. His talents at deflating the self-righteous are well suited to religious demagogues, but at the same time he's not fully predictable. A few years back he interviewed Bart Ehrman, and kinda-sorta dropped character and started genuinely disagreeing with the demythologized account of Christianity he was offering.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure if this was 100% appropriate for the forum, but I felt like sharing. If it wasn't, I apologize.

Hello, Nick! (or Gramps or....) :-)

I'm glad I began perusing all the categories here and came upon your thread. I'm a huge fan of Colbert's as well as Jon Stewart. I almost went to their rally in DC but couldn't do it.

So, I searched for all Colbert/Ehrman related youtubes and from what I've seen, I didn't get that he was all that upset. However, if what you say is true about his teaching CCD ( I heard him say that, also) I'm a tad disturbed by this 'co-mingling' situation.

I see him as an incredibly smart man who is tongue in cheek all the way. If he really is, I'd expect his format to be above board and when he feels stongly SERIOUSLY about something, I'd expect that he didn't present it in his format. I'd expect he'd be true to his personna.

Here are the interviews I came up with:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/70912/june-20-2006/bart-ehrman

misquoting Jesus

http://www.scripturezealot.com/2009/04/11/stephen-colbert-talks-sense-to-bart-ehrman/

Jesus interrupted

Are either of these the one to which you refer?

Great thread! Thanks!

Kath

Edited by Kath

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/70912/june-20-2006/bart-ehrman

misquoting Jesus

http://www.scripturezealot.com/2009/04/11/stephen-colbert-talks-sense-to-bart-ehrman/

Jesus interrupted

Are either of these the one to which you refer?

Great thread! Thanks!

Kath

Hmm

That wasn't quite as contentious as I remember it. I hate when that happens. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved all three of those clips. Stephen Cobert is great! He and Jon Stewart are two of my favorite funny guys...both very bright.

Bart Erhman is an interesting guy, as well. I've watched him in debate a couple of times.

• 2 months later...

Loved all three of those clips. Stephen Cobert is great! He and Jon Stewart are two of my favorite funny guys...both very bright.

Bart Erhman is an interesting guy, as well. I've watched him in debate a couple of times.

Hi Marsha,

Yes, I completely agree. I get their email weekly or so and watch their youtubed programs of interest.

It's a very subtle, tongue-in-cheek presentation and I love it. If people take him seriously, it only adds fuel to the fire, but seriously, a fire can burn itself out eventually, or we'll all end in the furnace

I love Bart Ehrman. A member of the Spong forum who used to be my friend (who actually turned on me, sadly) loaned me some cd's of his lectures and I've listened to him being interviewed on NPR (National Public Radio) and am a total fan.

Here's a man who is a scholar professor who taught Theology at Chapel Hill in NC who decided he needed to know more, and crossed over into the realm of "sorry, that's not how I see it" and his credentials speak for themselves.

Kath

• 1 year later...

I don’t always catch Colbert’s show, but think he’s a total genius at satire.

His earlier book made me smile on every page, and I see that he has a new one coming out.

Besides his comedic talents, he’s philanthropic - he and his wife, a University of Virginia graduate, made quite a donation to UVA recently-- the Colbert Art Scholars program will help students in art, drama, music and dance.

And...the man is into Star Trek. What's not to love?

Edited by rivanna