Deva Here

Deva

Just wanted to briefly introduce myself and then maybe later I will post a more detailed introduction. Hello everyone from South Florida!

I call myself Deva because of my interest in Eastern religions over the past 10 years. I have found beauty in them, but there is a part of me that is irrevocably Christian because I was raised in the Independent Baptist fundamentalist church. My life over the past 20 or so years (I am almost 52) has been an attempt to come to terms with my past. Suffice it to say that I was raised in the most extreme form of fundamentalist Christianity - end times, apocalyptic, rapture any moment, dispensational, King James Only version. The thing is that when I was young I tried to believe all of it. Of course I didn't know then that it was extreme - I thought it was the only right view because my parents believed it. My father is even now a Baptist Deacon. I can't think the same way as an adult and yes, it has been tough.

I welcome the chance to interact with Christians who have other views and maybe I can find a way to still believe some of it without throwing the whole thing out.

Hi Deva,

It's always nice to hear from someone who is willing to acknowledge her faith in Jesus, and interest in other religious views. I am privledged to gather with a progressive group. Currently, we are learning about the writings found in the Nag Hammadi. In a week or so, we will begin talking about the similiarities between Jesus and Budda. While we still maintain some of our Christian rituals (communion, prayer, and hymns), there is no pastor nor sermonizing. Instead, we have a group dialogue focused on the day's topic. The conversations are rich with thought and spiritual discovery.

I will look forward to hearing more from you.

Bob the facilitator

Hi Deva,

I was also raised as a fundamental Christian having made all the rounds starting from Catholic to no religious preference then married as a Baptist and then exposure to Bible College and the extreme fundamentalism you mention. Upon my exit i was also interested in eastern religions and their similarities with Christianity without dogma and doctrine. Anyway, here i am most pleased that you have found this community and hoping it will be of mutual benefit.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

Deva, Welcome and nice to meet another seeker who is interested in enlightenment of the mind and enlargement of the heart. May we all have healthy spiritual growth together by sharing our ideas.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! I am rather busy right now. I lost my job in February and have been working temp jobs and interviewing trying to get something permanent. Quite an ordeal. I hope to be able to post something more substantial soon.

Just wanted to briefly introduce myself and then maybe later I will post a more detailed introduction. Hello everyone from South Florida!

I call myself Deva because of my interest in Eastern religions over the past 10 years. I have found beauty in them, but there is a part of me that is irrevocably Christian because I was raised in the Independent Baptist fundamentalist church. My life over the past 20 or so years (I am almost 52) has been an attempt to come to terms with my past. Suffice it to say that I was raised in the most extreme form of fundamentalist Christianity - end times, apocalyptic, rapture any moment, dispensational, King James Only version. The thing is that when I was young I tried to believe all of it. Of course I didn't know then that it was extreme - I thought it was the only right view because my parents believed it. My father is even now a Baptist Deacon. I can't think the same way as an adult and yes, it has been tough.

I welcome the chance to interact with Christians who have other views and maybe I can find a way to still believe some of it without throwing the whole thing out.

Hi Deva. Welcome to the board. I can very much identify with much of what you say. I too was raised in an independent baptist fundamentalist church - the same stuff: KJV-only, end times, rapture, etc. - and I have come to find much value and beauty in eastern religion, and Buddhism in particular.

I'm glad you found us. Again, welcome.

Peace,

Mike

Hi Deva,

Enjoyed your posts, nice to see other women around here...sometimes it feels like TCPC stands for the Center for Patriarchal Christianity instead of Progressive :rolleyes:

I see you're in Florida --hope you aren't going to be affected by the oil spill. I'll be soooo glad when that problem finally gets solved.

Archived