I'm Just As Good Without Church

Thanks for broadening my horizons a bit. I appreciate all of you helping me think about this issue. Just because much good comes for me out of being in a community where people can help test my thinking, give me support and new ideas, and "share the journey" doesn't mean that works for everybody. Some people are able to stay in shape without belonging to fitness classes, too.

• 3 weeks later...

She is 100% correct. And I would add she is likely to be a better Christian if she does not go to church. I think churches do more harm than good when it comes to practicing Christianity.

Church is primarily for community. It has little if anything to do with actually practice.

That resonates with me big time. I have made more spiritual progress outside of a "church" than when I was in one actively.

That resonates with me big time. I have made more spiritual progress outside of a "church" than when I was in one actively.

Welcome therevcoach,

And thanks for your input on this subject. Perhaps you will tell us a little about yourself under introductions.

Joseph

What a great thread - and one which I can see from both sides.

I tend to think of spirituality as about looking and seeing (waking up to what is always there yet we are often closed off to). It is nothing to do with mere beliefs. The Church, however, thinks it's role is to look and see for the rest of us, and then merely ask us to believe in what it saw. Thus religious faith is always one or two or three steps removed from experience. Yes I feel we do need religions and churches - ideally as safe and inclusive places where we can share such experiences and articulate (by ritual and worship) our responses to those expereinces - but they should NEVER be used as a substitute for the personal, life transforming encounters of the divine. What did Jesus say - 'Go set a new religion' or 'The kingdom of God is within you'?

Mark

What a great thread - and one which I can see from both sides.

I tend to think of spirituality as about looking and seeing (waking up to what is always there yet we are often closed off to). It is nothing to do with mere beliefs. The Church, however, thinks it's role is to look and see for the rest of us, and then merely ask us to believe in what it saw. Thus religious faith is always one or two or three steps removed from experience. Yes I feel we do need religions and churches - ideally as safe and inclusive places where we can share such experiences and articulate (by ritual and worship) our responses to those expereinces - but they should NEVER be used as a substitute for the personal, life transforming encounters of the divine. What did Jesus say - 'Go set a new religion' or 'The kingdom of God is within you'?

Mark

I agree with you. I feel spirituality is the interior life of our experience and relationship with the divine. The church is external, but can serve by pointing inward and assisting one on the spiritual journey to the soul.

In some ways, I think the church is just waking up to the fact that much of what we have been traditionally doing has not supported people's faith journeys in a meaningful, "real" way.

I think the churches are waking up because nobody goes. If the Spirit was present they wouldn't have to advertise to get followers. They concentrate on the comforts, carpet, climate control and benefits of Christianity, but have forgotten the interior life. I hope they become centers for momentum on the spiritual journey.

Archived