The Fate Of The Future?

Guest wayfarer2k

Guest wayfarer2k

With the presidential elections coming up, the never-ending war in Iraq, and the down-turn in the economy, I wondered -- do you believe in a guaranteed good fate of the future? Are you a pan-theist, believing that God will pan everything out?

I'm on a couple of different progressive Christian forums. Some PCs feel like "God is in charge" and that no matter what happens, someday everything will be okay. In other words, God's kingdom (no matter how you define it) *will* come and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Other PCs believe that we, as humans have the capability to make God's kingdom come to earth but, being responsible creatures, we could easily destroy ourselves with nukes or scientific mishaps or by ruining our environment.

Conservative Christians (aka Left-Behinders) usually believe that the world will get really bad but then Jesus will show up, kill all the bad people, and then finally fix the world once and for all.

How do you see things? Is the future fixed? Or is it up to us? Is the progress of humanity guaranteed? Or could we extinguish ourselves?

We are quite capable of extinguishing ourselves. I don't believe everything will "pan out." If that were the case then we wouldn't have had a holocaust, slavery, or years and years of oppression of various peoples. As long as people like Bush and the powers that drive him are allowed to be given control over things like the environment we will end up destroying ourselves.

It is unfortunate that the book of Revelations is so sadly misunderstood that people who call themselves Christians ignore what is right in front of their faces.

It seems to me that the part of us that is of God can never be extinguished. All flesh and earth may pass away yet Life remains eternal. Perhaps there is a new heaven and a new earth and one does not have to travel or wait for the flesh to turn to dust to find it.

Does that mean the Future is secure? The future is hypothethical and doesn't exist except in the thinking mind. The eternal IS secure, requires no thought and cannot be otherwise. What we see here as the future will take care of itself whether we are in or out of the body. Therefor as Jesus is recorded as saying "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

Archived