Judge not!

tariki

17263122558745275930275560020910.jpg

What do others think of making judgements?

I've always loved a quote from the playwright Samuel Beckett, who said that:-

"We can never have enough knowledge, but not in order to judge."

17263123646147167128765144571984.jpg

I think we can gather knowledge like busy little bees, adding daily to our stock, perhaps thinking ourselves constantly wiser. Then, according to our very own unique conditioning, born of culture and circumstance, we form our judgement - of others, of virtually everything. Until our "self" becomes a hard nugget of "conclusions".

How can we truly see any other human being if such be the case. As the Good Book says:- "Judge not, lest you be judged"

17263127664693092108644234698686.jpg

As I see it, such a verse is not the threat of some "sky God" in charge of it all, but is the very nature of Reality. When we "judge" another (in fact, judge anything at all) we inevitable judge ourselves. Only we, our unique self, could possible have formed such a judgement, simply because of all of our own knowledge and preconceived conclusions.

17263126623275045262620640001829.jpg

Caught in a trap. And some just might be satisfied, satisfied with just how they see the world. But sadly, as I see it, Reality is missed. Its constant advance into novelty is forestalled, its healing power bypassed in favour of our own chosen judgements and conclusions.

Dogen, 13th century zen master:-

Conveying oneself toward all things to carry out practice-enlightenment is delusion. All things coming and carrying out practice-enlightenment through the self is realization.

(Lines from his "Genjokoan", the actualisation of Reality)

17263130431526768813354414955430.jpg

My apologies, I'm seeking to share with friends, not seeking to convince or preach! I'm going through a torrid time, seeking to hold myself together (or perhaps, seeking to allow the Grace of Reality to hold me together) I'm here drinking a coffee in McDonalds and I find tapping away on my Kindle therapeutic, barely knowing exactly what I will say until it is said.

17263131286151127397152853867014.jpg

Any comments welcome. I am constantly stimulated by the thoughts of other - and hopefully there will be no judgement!

PS The Cafe section chosen as I am simply rambling, sharing. Friends may join in. "Debate" in most forms simply debilitates me.  I simply love a world, have faith in a world, of eternal reconciliation and restoration. 

I personally think that 'judging' is an evolutionary trait of ours originally developed to help us navigate the world we live in, relatively safely.  It can be a handy tool to have, especially when trying to determine whether somebody may be a threat to us or not.

The problem is, we often take our judging abilities way too seriously! :) Because of our upbringing, conditioning, and experiences, we all see the world and all of its inhabitants and goings on, through our own specific lens.  Sometimes our judgements may be affirmed by others, but they are still our unique way of seeing things.

What would be handy would be to recognise that even whilst convinced our judgement is accurate correct, we should also recognise that it can be completely wrong! Particularly when we're not actually faced with a life or death situation.

15 hours ago, tariki said:

Thanks Paul, Yes, like labels, judging can be useful in some circumstances.

Is it when we think we have made a conclusive judgement that the real trouble starts?

For sure. Being certain leaves zero room for a different understanding!

25 minutes ago, PaulS said:

For sure. Being certain leaves zero room for a different understanding!

Yes, I think being "certain" dies not really suit the human condition!

😀 

History seems to tell us that much misery has been caused by those who lived "without a doubt".

Thanks Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back from my jaunt ... "judging" I think we can divide up into three flavours, well probably more:

1. Assessing how accurate a concept is or how successful a response to a given situation might be.
  2. Whether I like/dislike a flower, painting or person.
  3. Whether an action is morally justifiable or immoral
  • Like 1

Not distinguishing between "this" life and any other, totally simplistically I go with "we are what we understand" (Dogen) 

"As we judge so shall it be unto us" (or various statements on the same theme)

But as Dogen (again) says, although the present moment is the only moment, there is a movement forward. 

"Accepting" the present moment is, paradoxically, the way of genuine transformation.

Or in theistic language, to know that we are accepted just as we are (Grace) is the heart of redemption. 

• Like 1