Deconstruction. Does Anybody Need It?

minsocal

I asked a number of questions in the thread titlle and subtitle. Does 'deconstruction' really mean anything to Progressive Christians? I belong to a very Progressive church, and the subject has not come up in the six years I have been there more than twice. In those six years, I've missed maybe 10 Sundays or so. On the other hand. I've encountered the term in academia from time to time, but with mixed results. I live near the campus that made the founder of 'deconstruction' famous. I have been in the 'library' of books dedicated to the study. It is a small number of texts. Less than 50 on my last count. It seems to me to be "much ado about nothing."

On the other hand, philosophers in the ilk of John Searle and others, have mounted a frontal assault against deconstructionism, reductionism and materialism. As a Progressive Christian, I find nothing valuable in deconstructionism, reductionism or materialism. All three terms are tied together.

I'm sorry myron,

I'm am just not knowledgable enough in philosophy to debate this issue. I can only say that deconstruction as I know it worked for me. That's all. If others think it is dead that is okay with me. Perhaps PantaRhea will give you a run for it. i will enjoy just watching the debate and perhaps others will join in.

Joseph

I'm sorry myron,

I'm am just not knowledgable enough in philosophy to debate this issue. I can only say that deconstruction as I know it worked for me. That's all. If others think it is dead that is okay with me. Perhaps PantaRhea will give you a run for it. i will enjoy just watching the debate and perhaps others will join in.

Joseph

My point all along was simple. Deconstruction (of the Bible) began long ago with the prophets of the OT. It carried foreward to the ministry of Jesus and made it to the (authentic) letters of Paul. Some people come to religion with an awareness of God that does not require deconstruction. They begin life with a deconstructed view. The theory of deconstruction simply fails because it assumes "nobody ever went there before". That is the error of deconstructionism.

Archived