The Lost Gospel Q

MOW

This book is about 10 years old ,but I picked a copy a few months ago. Most books on Q seem dry and academic to me , but this one is an exception. It is short (118 pages) and gives you a nice collection of Jesus' sayings from Matthew and Luke. Borg also does not divide the sayings into three groups i.e. Q1,Q2 Q3 like Burton Mack does. This approach makes this collection more attractive to the layperson and average Christian IMO.

Liberal/progressive Christians who take issue with substitutionary atonement ,and feel that salvation comes from trying to follow Jesus' teachings may like this small volume. Even if you don't believe in the Q theory, this gives anyone a nice collection of Jesus' sayings and also where they are found in Matthew and Luke.

MOW

Hi Russ

I 've read both The Gospel of Thomas and this Gospel of Q book . I have to admit that I prefer Q ,even though many of the saying in Thomas are also in Q.

I think Q gives more of a sense of Jesus being a mystic and charismatic as well as radical thinker.

MOW

Good point. In Borg's latest book, "Jesus", he discusses the proposition that Jesus was a human, a mystic, and a political/social radical. Jesus counterposed his views of behavior based upon citizenship in the Kingdom of God with the norms and values of his own contemporary society.

Archived