Quips And Quotes

Guest billmc

As do I.

When I have a chance to breath, I'm probably going to post a review of DeHart's book. I've become strongly drawn to "postliberal" theology, which seems to be what happens when theologians take the whole "post-critical naivete" idea very, very seriously.

Edited by Nick the Nevermet

Concerning practicing Christianity:

"Strangely, we have come to a moment in human history when the message of the Sermon on the Mount could indeed save us, but it can no longer be heard above the din of dueling doctrines. Consider this: there is not a single word in that sermon about what to believe, only words about what to do. It is a behavioral manifesto, not a propositional one. Yet three centuries later, when the Nicene Creed became the official oath of Christendom, there was not a single word in it about what to do, only words about what to believe!" - Robin Meyers, "Saving Jesus From the Church"

• Upvote 1

Great Quote Bill,

Seems so true. Reminds me of the quote "Actions speak louder than words" While the author of those exact words are unknown here are a couple similar quotes that are known...

"I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts." ~John Locke

"Well done is better than well said." ~Benjamin Franklin

And somewhat related... Proverbs 14;4 "Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest."

Any fool can know. The point is to understand. -- Albert Einstein

Never accept and be content with unanalyzed assumptions, assumptions about work, about the people, about the church or Christianity. Never be afraid to ask questions about the work we have inherited or the work we are doing. There is no question that should not be asked or that is outlawed. The day we are completely satisfied with what we have been doing; the day we have found the perfect, unchangeable system of work, the perfect answer, never in need of being corrected again, on that day we will know we are wrong, that we have made the greatest mistake of all. -- Vincent J. Donovan

Steve

Wisdom is

so kind and wise

that wherever you may look

you can learn something

about God.

Why

would not

the omnipresent

teach that

way?

by Catherine of Siena,

quoted in (worth reading)

Sacred Sundays: The Full Side of Awakening

Written by Saskia Tait

from Daniel Ladinsky’s edited work, Love Poems from God.

http://beamsandstrut...de-of-awakening

• 2 weeks later...

Beatitudes for Our Time

1. Blessed are you who have nothing, but still help one another; for your bodies may be racked, but your humble spirits have already been healed.

2. Blessed are you who notice when one of your friends is weeping, and who sits with him; for comfort comes to those who do not pretend that life is a Happy Meal, a new set of wheels, or a winning lottery ticket. Pain is nobody’s friend, but it does cut through a lot of silliness.

3. Blessed are the simple, gentle people of the earth who live in the shadows of fame and fortune, but who are neither bitter, nor jealous. For the earth and all its abundance already belongs to them.

4. Blessed are those whose late-night cravings are for human connection, for peace of mind, for the cup of kindness, for another round of laughter. They will push away from the table of contentment, put their hands over their heart and say, “I’m stuffed!”

5. Blessed are those who look at the beggar on the street corner who, yes, may be a scammer, and remember that it’s not what someone does with the dollar that you give away that matters, it’s what you will do with the one you keep that doesn’t.

6. Blessed are those who part easily with what came easily to them.

7. Blessed are those whose heart is like a filter, purifying what the world serves up, tainted by selfishness and deception, and runs it through again and again and again until it comes out redeemed and luminous.

8. Blessed are those who put down their guns, who decide not to wear any uniform, who study peace instead of war, who pray for their enemies instead of killing them, and who may pay the price but who will not pay the piper.

9. Blessed are those who give peace a chance, for they shall be called naïve, but not by God.

10. Blessed are those who run into trouble by trying to get other people out of trouble, not because they enjoy the attention, but because they can’t sleep well when so much lying is causing so much misery and so little truth even bothers to show up.

11. Blessed are you when someone calls you a prophet and you have no idea what they are talking about, because all you did was tell people the secrets of their own heart, and that made them cranky. Your reward will not be in the number of friends you have on Facebook, but in the number of people who trust you to speak for those without a voice and to challenge those without a conscience. Lying is easy and often quite lucrative. Telling the truth, that is terrifying, and disorienting, and dangerous, and so it has always been.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus. – Robin Meyers

• Upvote 1

Letter from Jesus about Christmas --

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking my name out of the season. How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate my birth, just get along and love one another.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. My Father made all trees. So celebrate his good creation whenever you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give me a present in remembrance of my birth, here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way my birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell me all the time.

Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then do it.

Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of my birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

Instead of nit-picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to me, then let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget: my Father and I can take care of ourselves. Just love me and do what I've asked you to do. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember.

I love you,

Jesus

(Channeler unknown)

Putting Jesus Away

Well, this afternoon I finally did it. It was a little bit sad, but I knew it had to be done. I disassembled our Christmas manger scene and put Baby Jesus back in his box. He's been out now for a little over a month, so he's had plenty of exposure. I couldn't leave him out all year long; he might get dusty, or the cat might knock him off the shelf, or, God forbid, my kids might decide to play with him. We couldn't have that, could we?

So I gently wrapped him up in tissue paper and carefully put him back in his box where he'll be safe until I let him out again next November. I think it's better for him that way. I mean, I'll do my best to keep Christmas all year long. Peace on earth, good will toward men and all that. But this Baby Jesus is so cute, such a little cherub. He needs to be preserved just like he is. Besides, it's better for me to put him back in his box. I've found that it's much easier to worship the Baby in the manger than it is to try to follow his teachings as a grown-up. Besides, being a good Protestant, I have a few empty crosses around the house that remind me of what he did for me. Granted, I don't have much that reminds me of what I should do, but who would buy that kind of symbology anyway?

The only thing that bothered me while I was putting away Baby Jesus this year, something that I hadn't noticed before, was that whoever put the final coat on him overdid it just a bit on his face. It's odd, but the flaw in the finish almost looks like a tear on his cheek. Funny how we imagine things, isn't it? I wonder, with this imperfection, if I can still get my money back on him?

-- Bill McCracken

• 4 weeks later...

Concerning PC......

"I think that what we take, if anything, to be authoritative is a personal matter. PC is a conversation, a disposition -- a way of doing religion -- not a self-contained system of religious thought in itself." -- Mike Scott

• 2 weeks later...