Book Of Job

MOW

I'd like to explore peoples thoughts on the Book of Job in the OT. Several years ago a pastor I worked for did a sermon series on it.

In this story it seems Satan is more in the accuser role than the personification of evil that he became later in theological history.

" Then the Lord said to Satan " Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on Earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil." Satan answers "Does Job fear God for nothing. Have you not made a hedge around him,around his household and around all that he has on every side.

You have blessed the work of his hands and his possesions have increased in the land. But now stretch out your hand and touch all that he has and he will surely curse You to Your face" (Job I vs 9-12)

This passage seems to ask a chicken or the egg question. Is Job good because he is blessed , or is he blessed because he is good. This question has consequences for those who advocate "prosperity gospel " and this country's own attitudes about the poor.

Any thoughts on the Book of Job

MOW

It seems that Satan (existing in the context of the story) was advocating the thought that Job was only good because he was blessed. However, I would argue that this is only a subplot to a greater issue. Job mourned but did not curse God and continued to be upright.

The greater plot as seen with Job in his discussions with the friends and Elihu (I think this is the name if my memory serves me) as well as his discussion with God seems to be more about why bad things happen to good people. The others argue that the curses came on to Job because he had done something wrong and Job has not. Job was always good in his prosperity and remained good in his poverty.

Anyway, that's my take.

Ed

I have to agree with you: Job was good, even when times were bad.

When I was little I did not understand this book, almost to the point of banning it from my study. As an adult, who still from time to time thinks like he is little, I find myself wanting to ban the book now. I guess it is because it is so hard to understand.

When it comes down to it the story depicts a man who is upright, good and just, yet he is tortured in ways that most of us cannot imagine. After he is brought to his knees and torn down some more he is still good and upright and just.

Moral: ###### happens to all of us, even the Jobs among us. Its like the Waylon Jennings song, Four Strong Winds, the winds wont stop and neither will the seas cease rolling and we will all have to deal with problems and bad times.

Now that I have said that I think I will read Job and re-decide to never read it again.

Great comments eveyone!

Another thing I was thinking about was the response of Job's wife to the situation.

"Do you still hold to your integrity. Curse God and Die! " But he said to her,"You speak as one of the foolish women speak. Shall we indeed accept good from God , and shall we not accept adversity" (Job 2:9-10) It's easy to dismiss Job's wife, but after all she lost all her children too.

MOW