Not Sure I Belong Here

Jericho

I am currently involved in a mainline evangelical church but have been gravitating towards more progressive ideals through the years. Lately, I have found that I have reached the point where I no longer fit in with what my chuch considers its core beliefs. As a vocational minister, abandoning my church and the evangelical position would be catastrophic for my ministry and career. Yet, I'm at that point where I find myself dancing around topics for fear of saying something that contradicts the church but is in line with what I believe. Frankly, I am not sureof what I believe anymore and am in the process of redefining what I believe.

What makes me say that I am not sure I belong here is that I am not certain I subscribe to this forum's views either. It seems this forum has chosen 8 markers of a progressive christian and has chosen to exclude those who do not fit all 8. Personally, I have a hard time with 2, 3, and 4. Having said that, point 3 says it was deleted and replaced with point 7, which I do agree with. Point 4 says it was restated as point 3 (which would mean it was also deleted and replaced with point 7). That being the case, then I have no problem with those and only have a problem with number 2, but I wonder why these points are divided into 8 if 3 and 4 have been replaced with 7, shouldnt that leave 6 points?. Nevertheless, I have a problem with at least one of those.

• Upvote 1

Hi Jericho,

Welcome to the community. One does not have to subscribe to all 8 points or to any for that matter to fit in here. There is only one area of this forum (Progressive Christianity) that is limited to those who do. We welcome all those who are in a difficult period of defining what they really believe without asking that you accept anything or become a subscriber.We only ask that each show love and compassion for one another while doing so. Many here have traveled the same road as you and are here merely to support each other on their journey of self discovery. This thread on what members think Progressive Christianity is to them.may be helpful to you.

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jericho, welcome.

One of the traits I like most about the overall Progressive Christian movement is that of critical thinking. Nothing necessarily needs to be interpreted as a rule to obey or be condemned to hell, but rather each concept can be discussed as a tool to explore oneself and thereby discover a greater personal connection with God.

• Upvote 1