Hi, From The Lowcountry Of Sc

minstrelmanswife

Well, I became interested through my searching for Christian community. I'm seeking a local church where I can continue to grow and learn things that were suppressed in the fundamental church I'd been part of for 20 yrs. I just stopped going and haven't had any conversations with the pastors yet. My husband still goes and seems more staunch a literal bible believer than ever. Yesterday in discussing our beliefs, (he saw I was reading Elaine Pagels' "The Gnostic Gospels"), he says, "You drank the koolaid".

I'm interested in talking to other women who may be in the same boat, and have experience that may help.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome.

I also came to this site while searching for like-minded community. I don't attend a church, but I hope to give a new church a go when I return to my country in a couple of months. Like you, my husband is not impressed by PC. His interest is in enlightenment through meditation (without reference to Christianity).

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Annie

Hello Minstrelmanswife and Annie. I am a brand new member and like you both, I am searching. I'm not sure if my search will take me back to church. I have almost decided that organized religion, in general, is not the answer for me, though I don't discount the value of fellowship. My spiritual dilemma always seems to center around discomfort with very religious folks in general, and my inability to, well, like them. Much of my family, and some of my dear friends, are fundmental Christians. In recent years, I have found my relationship with them to be strained and the uneasy way that we avoid any meaningful dialogue around our differences leaves me with a sad feeling of emptiness. I try to approach others with compassion and non-judgement, but sometimes my efforts feel pretty inauthentic. I'm looking for some new insights, I guess!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Lisa

Welcome,

Sometimes differences within family theologies provides opportunity for great spiritual growth. Living in peace with those of identical beliefs is easy but challenges, in my experience, does seem in time to have its perfect work in us.

Joseph

• 4 weeks later...

Hello AnnieG,

It was a suprise to hear from someone on the other side of the world. Thank you for commenting. I wasn't sure what you meant by PC though. Was it practical christianity or political correctness or something else? I hope you'll find a church you can enjoy & have that fellowship you're looking for.

Did you read John Spong's recent article on the Christmas story? I liked what he said at the end about the church he attends. I too would like a speaker who understands the Bible in reality without being told we've got to have faith to believe in miracles, ( the things like angels & virgin births).

I want to believe in Life & Love, walk in love. My husband, with his belief that things in the world are bad and only going to get worse, is a real hard thing to listen to, and our conversations of late come to a standstill.

I'm still looking for a church in my area. I'm seeing a psychologist (just started again after 2 yrs not seeing her).

I'm 55 yrs old, have 6 children, 3 still at home. I'm physically challenged with Muscular Dystrophy. Expecting a power chair in Jan. I'll be taking 2 classes in Human Services at the local college also in Jan. I have 5 grandchildren in the area.

@ LisaE, thank you for commenting also, I hope I'm responding to this topic and your post in the right place, still trying to figure this out. I think I understand what you mean about the inauthenticity about conversations. I think it has to do w/ what Spong says about the fundamentalist believer, they just can't be open to any thought or conversation that challenges the literalness of the Bible. That's why I left my church, I knew I wouldn't be allowed to challenge or bring that up without someone telling me that it was unacceptable. I had already asked a question privately to a pastor about his sermon saying the Holy Spirit only came @ Pentacost & was never in mankind until then. Even though I asked privately, I was answered from the pulpit the next wk & the next. Boy, that was alot of fun. Well, hope we can stay in touch, take care.

CarolynS

s

Hello Carolyn

Good to hear from you again.

PC =Progressive Christianity. Does Sc = Scotland? I'm from NZ, but most of my ancestors were Scottish. I'd like to know more about the country I've never been to. I haven't read the article by Spong, but it makes sense to me. Fortunately my hometown, where I am returning soon, has a few progressive churches to choose from.

You do have some challenges in front of you. I can relate to the difficulty of having a partner who has the "belief that things in the world are bad and only going to get worse". I have great respect for women with large families; I have two young children myself and think they keep my hands full. I hope your classes are enjoyable.

If you'd like to chat more personally, please click on my picture and you can send a Private Message.

Annie

Hello Minstrelmanswife,

I also am from South Carolina. I know some progressive Christians across the state. If you send me a private message and tell me where you live, I can tell you if I know anyone in your area.

Skyboy5