Hello, Finally.

Timeflows

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these boards for almost a year and never managed to attain posting privileges, until now. (So I feel like I know everyone!)

There have been conversations that I have desperately wanted to take part in, and questions that I would love to have posed...oh how frustrating, but I am here now! (And very thankful.)

I have been a Progressive Christian for around 20 years, although I had no idea that there was a name for it, until quite recently. I know no other progressives in my actual life, although I have one international email contact, who reminds me, when I need it, that my beliefs are not completely alien. I am a member of a church, in Australia, but find myself only an infrequent visitor these days, because I want my children to have more of a thinking faith, than what they encounter in their Sunday school. My church is passionate about social justice issues, but reluctant to take the accompanying theological leaps, that seem so obvious to me. I have great supportive friends there and have never been made to feel on the outer, despite holding views that differ greatly. So I guess I should count myself lucky.

My husband comes from a non-religious family, but recent exposure to some progressive preaching (a wonderful brief interlude from a visiting minister) has made him finally able to see where I am coming from.

I read voraciously,and widely, follow numerous blogs and will talk about my faith in any forum that presents itself. I find other belief systems give me wonderful insights into my own, which is always a work in progress.

I am so glad to be finally able to be part of an online community where diverse beliefs are welcome.

And...by the way, I have really enjoyed all the discussion over the time that I have been dropping by.

Hello Timeflows,

Welcome to the board. I hope you found the validation process was prompt and went smoothly. It was neglected for so long but we are making progress and so happy you could finally get on to post. Looking forward to sharing space and growing with you.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

G'Day timeflows!

I'm in Oz too. Sunshine state. Church-going Anglican but very much a Progressive, or Revertive, see other posts! Tomorrow night I am starting a progressive faith book group! Great to know pc is alive and well in the sunburnt country!

Great to hear from you!

Thanks for the welcome, Joseph and Adi Gibb.

Good luck AG with your progressive book club. I have attempted Living the Questions twice, with an established bible study group, and both times the groups petered out, citing too much homework and too complex material. It was a great disappointment to me, because I was enjoying the study thoroughly. I have an email friend (in the US) and we read progressive books "together" and discuss them, but we also delve into ethics, atheism, Buddhism, politics...anything that might seize our interest. Discussing ideas with others prepared to think outside their own traditions is always exciting, which is why I am here...

Thanks for the welcome, Joseph and Adi Gibb.

Good luck AG with your progressive book club. I have attempted Living the Questions twice, with an established bible study group, and both times the groups petered out, citing too much homework and too complex material. It was a great disappointment to me, because I was enjoying the study thoroughly. I have an email friend (in the US) and we read progressive books "together" and discuss them, but we also delve into ethics, atheism, Buddhism, politics...anything that might seize our interest. Discussing ideas with others prepared to think outside their own traditions is always exciting, which is why I am here...

Timeflows,

Perhaps you may find time to pick out an interesting e-book for us and discuss it on line here in our book discussion area. I'm sure others would be happy to join you.

Many here also find it interesting to expand their own understanding of Christianity by studying or discussing other religions and their commonalities and differences while being respectful of other traditions.

Joseph

Archived