C'mon, Let's Get To Know Each Other!

Hi everyone!

Oh come on, I know there's more people out there except for me, BrotherRog, Rizzo and Gordon! Some of these threads have 89 views - even for doubling for each of us there's a lot of you just lurking and we need your input and viewpoints! :-)

So...let's get these boards hopping! :P

Why don't we all answer this questionaire?

1) Do you consider yourself to be a progressive Christian? Why or why not?

2) Where do you live? If you're under 18, please don't be any more specific than your city and do NOT give us your school or your last name. Its not safe :(

3) What do you do for a living? What do you do outside of your wage-earning job?

4) How did you find out about these boards?

5) What are you looking for as you post here?

6) What on Earth do you think this icon means? :ph34r:

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself ;)

~ Lib

1. Yes. I definately consider myself "progressive". I would not have refered to myself as either a "liberal" or a "conservative" but progressive nonetheless. I feel that I am a progressive Christian because I am a Christian with a gothic/existential interpretive lens. Furthermore, the majority of conservatives think that I am a flaming liberal; so I am in the progressive/moderate/liberal category by default.

2. I live in a studio apartment in Canton, Ohio (yippie).

3. I'm not really making enough to making a living right now. Hmm... I am going to Bible college and I am cleaning tables as a "job". My major is Biblical studies. I have taken: Old Testament Survey, Pentateuch, The Historical Books, The Prophetic Books, New Testament Survey, The Gospels, The Epistles of Paul, Revelation, History of Christian Thought 1 and 2, Hermeneutics, Contemporary Theology, Spiritual Formation, Greek 1, 2 and 3, Faith and Personal Ethics, Creative Bible teaching, Philosophy of Religion, Models of Christian ministry, Sports Youth and Family Ministry, Homiletics, and a few others... In my spare time, I enjoy writing. I am working on my own book right now, actually. I also enjoy reading (Barth, Bonhoeffer, Borg, Brueggerman, Campola, Lamott, Metzger, Moltmann, Pannenberg, Sproul, and Wright). I enjoy European gothic music (Apoptgyma Berzerk, Beborn Beton, Covenant, Echo Image, Funker Vogt, Icon Of Coil, Juno Reactor, Project Pitchfork, Ravenous, Regenerator, Sanctum, Saviour Machine, and VNV Nation).

4. I found this board one day when I was poking around on the TCPC page which I found doing a search for Marcus Borg.

5. Hmm... possibly friendship and acceptance, maybe even critical dialogue if I am lucky.

6. What the :ph34r: is it? It must be a face within a mask.

7. Hmm... I really like talking about philosophy and/or systematic theology. Hint Hint. Oh yeah, I am also a pacifist and I think that if Clinton was impeached for lying about sex then Bush should be impeached for lying about murder.

Hey,

Wow this would involve a very long story... But,

1. I was a born and bred evangelical / fundamentalist for many years. I graduated from a conservative undergraduate school (David Lipscomb University in Nashville) and a conservative seminary (Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky). But, I gradually evolved from being a very conservative "Church of Christ" person to a theologically liberal person. And, the evolution has been a very painful - but sometimes exciting, and now more than ever, hilarious process. I guess fundamentally my views of Christology and biblical inspiration make me "Progressive." I am also very "open" when it comes to other religions - although my "track" is Christian.

2. I live in the Bible Belt here in TENNESSEE! I work in Nashville but live down the interstate in Murfreesboro.

3. I do crisis counseling and admissions in a psychiatric hospital "to make a living." My heart is still in ministry - I was in ministry till May of 2001 in an evangelical church. I lead a little "progressive Christian" home fellowship in Nashville which is very fun.

4. I don't remember how I found about these boards! Maybe also off the Borg site or the Jesus Seminar site?

5. I would love to find others around Nashville looking for fellowship.

Hey,

Okay, so maybe I'm technology deprived but I sent the previous reply by accident!

6. What does that icon mean? I don't know and I don't care, icons are of the devil.

7. The previous points above are fairly explanatory for a superficial introduction.

Ken...

hey ken - if you accidentally hit post again, you should be able to go back and click on edit at the top of your post to add to it or change it. i think you have about 30 minutes or so before it is "set in stone" so to speak :o

Greetings all,

I am a progressive Christian. I am drawn to the writing and insights of Cupitt and Geering and I am what I term a "non-realist." Yet I find fulfillment in the common life of my church community. I like ritual and my Episcopal parish has good liturgy with wonderful music and excellent preaching (most of the time).

I live and work in Sunnyvale CA, a suburb of San Jose. For those who don't know the geography of the state, we are 35 miles south of San Francisco. I have been married 32 years, and our two adult children have long been on their own. We've two grandchildren.

I am a materials manager for a small medical manufacturing company. That means I am responsible for procurement of parts, management of the parts within the building and production process, and for shipping.

I spent many years in religious education for my former R.Catholic parish, but I "hit a wall" with the Catholic church in 2001.

I am looking forward to this forum, and hope we acheive critical mass with enough and varied voices to keep the discussion interesting.

Great icon, by the way. Don't have a clue!

Lou

1) Yup. Though you all may not think so...

2) Near State College, Pa, USA.

3) Well, as soon as I get out of high school, and into college, I work at McDonald's for $6.15 an hour. Cheers!

4) How did I find out about these boards? Googling! (yes, that's a real word)

5) Just hoping to

6) What on Earth do I think this icon means? PH34R!!!

I'm also a songwriter (techno, no bashing please ;) and I love being a Christian. It's changed my whole life. Of course, if it hasn't changed my whole life, then would I truly be a Christian? You decide. :D

Peace,

Rizzen <{{{><

Ok, since I just joined this discussion group, let me answer the questions:

I'm pretty much a progressive everything! :lol: Since life is clearly evolving and I have long ago rejected dualism, the ultimate mystery which we conceptualize and call God must also be evolving and so must Christianity. I believe that we are all part of God becoming God. That if God is Love and Love must be lived out to be truly real, then through our acts of loving kindness God becomes truly real. OH, did I mention that I was a heretic? (Heretic meaning "one who choses". To chose one has to decide. To decide one has to think. I think, therefore I am. Ya' gotta problem with that?)

2) Where do you live? If you're under 18, please don't be any more specific than your city and do NOT give us your school or your last name. Its not safe

I live in Mesa, Arizona. With the recent death of my last parent, I have moved into a two bedroom apartment with my furry daughter, Yaku, a Siberian Husky. If you're ever in town, drop by. As my Polish custom says, "When there's a guest in the house, God is in the house."

3) What do you do for a living? What do you do outside of your wage-earning job?

I am currently unemployed. I spent the last seven years taking care of my parents and doing volunteer work as a facilitator of a social justice ministry at my church. I hope to turn this experience into a career. While I should be spending my computer time looking for work, I generally spend it reading the news at commondreams.org or getting involved in spirituality issues. Addicted to always talking about religion and politics, no wonder I don't get invited to parties :D It's either that or form a church!

I bookmarked the site a few years back and have been lurking about every so often. I finally decided to sign up.

Challenging new ideas that "stimulate the little gray cells" as Inspector Peroit would say!

6) What on Earth do you think this icon :ph34r: means?

A "ninja" smiley? Maybe it means "Don't tell anyone I said that!"

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself

First for full disclosure, I am an MTF transsexual. Far from being a "sin", it is a unique spiritual journey with a clear purpose of living out physically what others must due spiritually, to know and become their true self, or as Jesus said, 'If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.' (Gospel of Thomas 70) The Gospel of Thomas is probably my favorite scripture. I believe it's authentic, but unfortunately not authorized.

Although a life-long Roman Catholic, recent attitudes from the Vatican toward GLBT persons make staying "Roman" impossible and so I'm going "Independent". Anyone interested in a study group in Mesa?

At this time I do not consider myself a Christian at all. I would consider myself to be more of a Deist, with a belief in the core ethical tteachings of Jesus.

2) Where do you live? If you're under 18, please don't be any more specific than your city and do NOT give us your school or your last name. Its not safe.

Austin, TX

I am a database engineer adn an officer in the Army guard. Outside of work, I command (lead) the third largest squadron on the Civil Air Patrol, which is much like scouting but aviation oriented, along with my son who is a cadet. I fly, read, camp, the usual guy things.

I usually host the ExChrsistian Rom on Yahoo. i had an interesting conversation with a gentleman who is a pastor in Indiana whois a member of this organization. While I no longer consider myself to be a Christian, I have no problems with fair, open minded and progressive persons of any or no religious persuasion. As a former member of a more fundamentalist denomination, my beef is with the irrational, anti-intellectual and intolerance stances therein.

Dialogue and an opportunity to learn and share.

6) What on Earth do you think this icon means?

Dunno

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself .

i have been married 20 years, to a woman that is now a liberal Christian. (we were both raised fundamentalist). We have two children, one in high school and one beginning middle school.

• 4 weeks later...

For lack of a better label, I do. It wasn't until I read Spong's "Why Christianity must Change or Die" that I began to reconcile the huge gaps between my spiritual beliefs and my intellectual beliefs. I have read more of his works, since, and also "A history of God" by Karen Armstrong and "After God" by Don Cupitt.

Basically, I believe in Jesus' good news of forgiveness and love and it's power to transform us internally and the world externally. I don't believe in: miracles, inerrancy of scripture, a theistic God that intercedes in this world, life-after-death, heaven and hell, Jesus as something other than human, or hate for people of any race, sexual orientation, belief, shape, etc.

I do not profess to have the answers, but I promise to keep trying. I hope always to have an open and informed mind by which I may reform and refine my perspective.

2) Where do you live? If you're under 18, please don't be any more specific than your city and do NOT give us your school or your last name. Its not safe

Baltimore, MD

I am a mechanical engineer, working with optical systems and doing mostly NASA work.

Internet searches

Mainly, I am looking for a community of like-minded and educated individuals (or at least open-minded individuals) with whom I can take part in relevant and stimulating discussions. I have few people within my church or that I know who believe as I do.

Ninja!

Since I've posted a disproportionate number of threads in this forum, you probably already have a sense about who I am and what makes me tick... but here goes:

Yes, but I really prefer to self identify as a "radical follower of the Way of Jesus."

Too often, progressive types tend to hold views and notions about the Church and their faith that are too milquetoast and insufficient, at least for me. I prefer the more bold and muscular approaches of Stanley Hauerwas, Walter Wink, and Wes Howard Brook. Hauerwas is often labled a "radical" or as a "post-liberal."

I also tend to favor the promotion of the specificity of Jesus as the Christ than the more universalistic notions of some.

Currently in Colorado.

United Methodist pastor; father; husband; exercise; music; post things on religious and politcal bulletin boards; write my elected officials.

Hmm... Web search I suppose

Fellowship with likeminded - and differently minded but like-hearted - brothers and sisters in Christ.

6) What on Earth do you think this icon means? Don't really know, but it reminds me of a character on South Park - Kenny, the one who gets killed in every episode.

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself Bigger than a bread box, Faster than a self-propelled lawn mower, able to leap most hedges in a single bound!!

As I stated in another thread (What's the difference?), I consider myself a Postmodern Transcendentalist (www.greensouls.org). I might also be a Deist (I was, but may no longer fit the definition...well maybe :unsure: ). I used to call myself a Progressive Christian due to my fascination with such authors as John Shelby Spong, Walter Wink, Marcus Borg, John Crossan, Anne Lamott....and the fact that I reject the trinity, miracles, origional sin, the divinity of Jesus and many other orthodox Christian tenets. I no longer use the term since I believe others provide a better fit.

I live in Southern Maine and work as a clinical social worker. I do volunteer work (with GreenSouls) as a visiting Chaplain (of sorts) in nursing homes, homeless shelters, jails, and local neighborhoods.

I have known about TCPC for awhile, but only realized that you have a forum on this last visit. BTW, I am very pleased to find it. I hope to find some thought provoking and emotionally touching dialogue (ok, maybe some debate) and make a cyber-pal or three.

As for :ph34r: ..... a spiritual ninja?

:)

Eric

Hi y'all. I have no problem with people using the term "progressive", but after seeing the way "Dubya" has appropriated the term "reform" to mean changing things in the direction that HE wants things to go, even if it's BACKWARDS, I can see people using the terms "Progress" and "Progressive" that way too. So, I much prefer the term "Liberal". The fact that Conservatives have succeeded in (TEMPORARILY) making "Liberal" a title to be ashamed of is proof positive, in my mind, of the overwhelming control Conservatives have of the communications media in the U.S.A. !

I think the vast majority of mankind would want to be "Liberal" if only they viewed it the way I (and many dictionaries) do. I define it and constrast it in great detail at a page of the web site I designed to promote

1)the idea among Christians that they might well want to be "Liberals Like Christ", and

2) the idea among Liberals who are not Christians that they might well want to be Liberals who appreciate and "like" Christ.

The portal of the site is LiberalsLikeChrist.Org.

The section where I compare and contrast "Liberalism" vs. "Conservatism" is LiberalsLikeChrist.Org/Liberals.

If anybody wants to know more about me, my bio's on the site.

Found TCPC by seaching for other Liberal Christians.

Is THAT what that face is? I thought it was the racoon that's been competing with the town for my garbage!

Looking forward to growing together with new friends. Are any of you devotees of DemocraticUnderground.com? That's the best forum that I have found for political lliberalism and there's an interesting mix of people both for and against religion in general and christianity in particular.

Edited by Rayosun

:) Hi everyone - I'm certainly well into Progressive Faith - growing back to my roots after a "conversion" at University in the late 60's.

Active now on the Exec of PCN Britain and (pro-tem) webmaster of the British Site PCN Britain Webpage (www.pcnbritain.org.uk).

I think Monica has done an amazing job on this site - and think it can provide a great Forum for discussion and debate as more folk get to know it.

See you around the Board folks! :huh:

John

I am struggling with this BB technology and have not responded to your plea since I am under the impression this was what the personal profile would accomplish!

jeep

Hi. This is my first time here and I figured this thread would be a good one to start with.

I do, because I'm interested in learning about God through my life's journey,experiences, and the essence of his word, by the leading of the Holy Spirit. For years I struggled to accept a faith based on blind adherance to literalism and rigid dogmatism. I had to face the fact that I needed to look beyond that religious system if I wanted to be the person God called me to be. It's not always easy, but of course, it's not supposed to me. ( I just sometimes wish it would be!) lol

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. I moved here from New York City almost seven years ago.

I work in a customer relations job for a large home improvement company. I also run ( with 2 business partners) a small but hopefully growing quality control business that serves the childcare industry. My interests include : natural/holistic health,reading, writing, etymology, anything word-related. I also have ideas for childrens toys that I hope to eventually market. I'm an"idea" person and have lots of things that I'd love to persue, provided I could create the extra 4-6 hours in a day that it would require.

Web search

I'd like to get to know more about the various types of people who indentify themselves as progresive Christians; their experiences, interests, and expressions of faith. Hopefully, I can get some encouragement and enlightenment along the way.

That's little ninja guy. He shows up when one wants to project an air of playful sneakiness, shadiness, or "bad guy"-ness.

I have a desire to give a helping hand to people who have suffered spiritual abuse at the hands of churches, religious groups, or individuals. There has been so much silence about this issue, and the silence is what allows it to continue. I know fisthand the damage that can be done when misguided people do hurtful things in the name of God.

Another fact about my life: My mother operates a a sanctuary for abused/neglected animals. We have 26 acres here with twentysomething dogs, 11 cats, a guinea pig, and a 2,000 pound Hereford/Simmental steer!

It's nice to meet you all and I hope to visit here whenever I have the time :)

Hello everyone - this is our first post as well. We are a husband and wife (I guess you could call us Rev. and Mrs. Heretic) who will be joining these discussions from time to time, either one or both of us. I (Mrs. Heretic) am the typist, so everything has to go through me anyway. Unfortunately, Rev. Heretic can do nothing computer-wise except push the button to turn it on (and that with much teaching!) Today I will be answering the questions for us both.

Actually, no. Rev. Heretic considers himself a regressive Christian - meaning his theology leans way back toward what he considers the earliest days of Christianity - before the message got all messed up.

2) Where do you live?

Mid coast Maine.

I am a medical transcriptionist, originally from Tennessee. Rev. Heretic is a fully ordained retired United Methodist pastor, born in Missouri, lived in Tennessee (West and Middle) most of his adult life until the move to Maine.

Bishop Spong's site.

My husband, since he is retired, has little outlet for his gift of teaching and his need for theological discussion, is tired of arguing with fundamentalists (on another board) and would like to join a group of like-minded people. In his ministry in Tennessee and in Maine, we have found very few like-minded people. Rev. Heretic wants to see a resurrection in the church, which he considers presently dead. He is extremely interested in liturgy - what specifically we need to do to formulate our liturgy into meaning and substance - not empty words, not nonsensical thoughts, not outdated ideas, but enable it to give meaning to worship today. This includes hymn lyric changes, certainly.

6) What on Earth do you think this icon means? Have no idea.

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself.

Between the two of us, we have been members of the United Methodist Church and the Episcopal Church (both "high" and "low"). We have attended intermittently the Disciples of Christ Church, the Roman Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Universalist Church. We have visited in the Lutheran Church. We have been members of, and pastor to, churches both in the South and the Northeast. We have had therefore broad experience with various denominations. Rev. Heretic also studied with a rabbi for enough time that if he were Jewish, he would have completed the prerequisite study to become a rabbi himself.

I (Mrs. Heretic) am a church musician (organ, piano, and voice), so we have usually been a "team" ministry.

In summary, we have given much thought to what is "wrong" with the present state of the church. It is not limited to the South, nor is it limited to any one denomination. We believe very strongly that Christ's church is dead, but doesn't know it yet. But as in the resurrection of Christ, it may rise up again (in a different form than the present) to carry on the work of Christ.

We have a very strong Christology - that is why we couldn't be comfortable with the Unitarian Universalists. It is not by any means an exclusive Christology, and it's not so much concerned with Jesus (as Borg puts it, the pre-Easter Jesus) but instead is focused on the Christ (the post-Easter Jesus, the Body of Christ, the Church) and the presence of God in Christ in us individually and collectively.

Rev. Heretic is also a recovering alcoholic, almost 20 years sober, and his personal transformation has formulated much of his theology.

I, Mrs. Heretic, will be the one perusing the message board here, and will notify Rev. Heretic if he needs to write something or respond to something. I also print out various posters' messages so he can read them and think about them and respond to them.

Sorry this is so long - it's a complex issue and my husband is a complex man!

In Christ,

Mrs. Heretic

Edited by Rev Heretic

I'm delighted to have found this site. It's difficult to describe positions as the vocabulary used seem mostly derived from secular (American) politics.

In particular, I find the word 'progressive' problematic: it smacks of self-satisfaction and an old-fashioned secular optimism.

What do you think?

I'm a (Roman) Catholic, by the way, as that is the tradition in which my spiritual life has developed:wherever possible we should maintain 'progressive' presences in our churches.

I look forward to attending a sung Latin Mass celebrated by a woman ...

Gerard

Hi, Lib Christian and others. I'm delighted to have found this messageboard. I've been looking for a Christian discussion forum more liberal/enlightened/progressive/ whatever word you like for some time.

My answers to your questionnaire are as follows:

1. Do you consider yourself to be a progressive Christian? Yes, definitely.

2) Where do you live? Crewe, England (that's the little red island to the north of France, Europe!)

3) What do you do for a living? I have a little job in the G-v-rnm--t which I am hoping to be free of soon!

4) How did you find out about these boards? Steve Locke's site.

5) What are you looking for as you post here? Intelligent, tolerant discussion of progressive Christian ideas.

6) What on Earth do you think this icon means? Sorry, what Icon?

7) Tell us anything else you want to about yourself . I like music and railways. I am said to have no sense of humour. I think that the Resurrection is about discovering the fulfiling, renewed life we can live when we resolve our divided natures. I respect other people's beliefs. I greet everyone as human beings first and not as man, woman, straight, gay, old,young, or whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a progressive Christian in that I endeavor to follow the teachings of Christ. Further than that is always up for discussion :D

2) Where do you live?

In a small corner of NE Florida with my partner of 9 years and our dog.

3) What do you do for a living?

I am a parish secretary for a small, conservative Episcopal parish.

What do you do outside of your wage-earning job?

Love life and everything in it! I also volunteer my DTP skills for non-profit groups and churches when they need it.

I've been hanging around TCPC for ages but mostly as a lurker - glad to see the updated message boards!

The opportunity to communicate with other like-minded individuals about the wonder and joys that Jesus taught us to reach for :D If I make a couple friends in the bargain, that's bonus.

It looks like a wee ninja, doesn't it? :lol:

okay...but you've been warned...

I am liberal, christian, feminist, ethereal, awkward, growing, sublime, tiresome, cynical, hopeful, keen, enlightening and sometimes, even funny.

So, hello!

• 1 month later...

I am not sure that I consider myself to be a progressive Christian. Not really sure what that means yet.

2) Where do you live? If you're under 18, please don't be any more specific than your city and do

NOT give us your school or your last name. Its not safe

I live in Decatur, IL.

I work in customer service for T-Mobil.

I was looking for some website’s that had to do with not being a fundamentalist and found this.

I am looking for other people who want to talk and would like to become friends. Its hard living out in the world when the only Christians are those who don’t think you are or don’t want you to be one.

I am not sure. It could be a ninja, or maybe it means that what you are saying is secret.

I am a newly confirmed Anglican (Episcopal). I really enjoy going to church and would one day like to be an Episcopal priest.

20 years old. Girlfriend and I are having a Baby! Very excited about that.

Steve, Congratulations for your growing family and for working towards answering that calling from God for your life!

I'm not familiar with the Anglican/Episocpalian seminaries, but I'm fairly certain that you could attend a United Methodist seminary and be ordained as an Anglican. Most UM seminaries offer specialized classes that are specific to various non UM denominations in order to satisfy various requirements.

Perhaps the nearest UM seminary to you is Garret Evangelical Seminary which is near Chicago. It is considered as being a very good moderate institution with high academic expectations. You might also consider McCormick Seminary (in Chicago), I think it's Presbyterian USA related; St. Paul's Seminary in Kansas City, MO; United Theological Seminary near St. Paul, MN (very liberal); the Iliff School of Theology in Denver, CO, United Theological Seminary in Dayton, OH, or Claremont School of Theology in California (liberal and highly academic UM schools). Of course, there's always Harvard, but they're more focused upon abstract academics and less upon practical pastoral skills (IMHO).

Ah, no. I was a dedicated Christian but have since moved on. Am I progressive? Yes. So progressive, it seems, that there was honestly no point in continuing to refer to myself as "Christian" - at least according to the historical definition of Christinity.

Philly.

I am presently finishing a B.A. in Theology and am planning to enter an M.A. in Philosophy.

I've been an associate for a few years now. I consistently check the site for news.

Consistency and logic.

???

I really appreciate a good hamburger.