School's Out! School's Out!

October's Autumn

Today was my last day of school for the 07-08 school year! I had 7 kids NOT show up, 15 did show up! One came but spent the day in another classroom.

We had an interesting day. I taught them about probability then we finished the last part of a science lesson. I tried to get them to sit and watch "Alice in Wonderland" and then "Little House on the Prairie" but they were too wound up to sit still. I finally read to them. We had a pizza and fresh fruit "party." At first I didn't think they would eat the fruit but they got pizza and then had fruit then finished the pizza and then (much to my amazement) finished all the fruit! We cleaned up and then I sent them home. I picked up the last of my stuff and was home shortly after two! I go back on July 1st. My students start on July 3rd. (Then, July 7th). I will be rolling up with my students so I'll be teaching them 5th grade! I'm excited about that. For now I need my 5 week and 1 day break, though. I'm pooped!

Today was my last day of school for the 07-08 school year! I had 7 kids NOT show up, 15 did show up! One came but spent the day in another classroom.

We had an interesting day. I taught them about probability then we finished the last part of a science lesson. I tried to get them to sit and watch "Alice in Wonderland" and then "Little House on the Prairie" but they were too wound up to sit still. I finally read to them. We had a pizza and fresh fruit "party." At first I didn't think they would eat the fruit but they got pizza and then had fruit then finished the pizza and then (much to my amazement) finished all the fruit! We cleaned up and then I sent them home. I picked up the last of my stuff and was home shortly after two! I go back on July 1st. My students start on July 3rd. (Then, July 7th). I will be rolling up with my students so I'll be teaching them 5th grade! I'm excited about that. For now I need my 5 week and 1 day break, though. I'm pooped!

Wow, school returns in July?? Are you on a schedule that gives you a longer winter break but a shorter summer break than most other school districts? Every place I've ever lived has had school end in June and start up again in late August/early September.

We are on a multi-track system. There are 4 tracks and 3 are in session at any given time. So I'm off from now until July 3rd. That is when the new school year starts. I also will have most of October and most of February off.

Sounds confusing, but nice to have breaks here and there throughout the year! Enjoy your break! :)

It is hard to explain. I didn't really understand it until I looked at a calendar that lays it all out! It is great to have breaks throughout the year instead of having to go from late August to mid-June straight through!

Yeah, August to mid-June can be exhausting, although I've only ever experienced it from a student's POV. I'd imagine it's pretty tough on teachers, especially those in elementary schools...but then again maybe I'm just biased because I would never be able to teach kids (or middle schoolers). Kudos on that! :)

I'm still in school myself, but just for a few more weeks, although it's annoying because I have so much to finish up. But then I graduate in mid-June! Finally! (Yes I know, I'm a baby :lol: )

Do you have any plans for your break? :)

Today (which isn't technically part of my vacation because it is Memorial Day and everyone has off) I've been cleaning. This place gets awfully messy in a few months! Then I'll be working on painting four dolls through out the time. The last full week of June we plan on taking a few day trips into Los Angeles. I also plan on catching up on my sleep!

Today (which isn't technically part of my vacation because it is Memorial Day and everyone has off) I've been cleaning. This place gets awfully messy in a few months! Then I'll be working on painting four dolls through out the time. The last full week of June we plan on taking a few day trips into Los Angeles. I also plan on catching up on my sleep!

Have fun with the painting and visiting LA! Hope you have a great, relaxing couple of weeks! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi OA,

Just wondering how your break has been going. I know you're going back soon. How will you start the new class session?

Where I live in Ontario, most schools -- both public and secondary -- wrapped up classes yesterday for the year. I went to my niece's Grade 8 graduation last evening. I have a hard time relating to the idea of returning to school on July 1. That would be awful here, as July and August are often stinking hot and humid, and very few Ontario schools have air conditioning. We're fiercely attached to our summer break, when we can do lots of cool, fun, summer stuff. Anyway, hope you've enjoyed your time off.

Best,

Jen

Hi OA,

Just wondering how your break has been going. I know you're going back soon. How will you start the new class session?

Where I live in Ontario, most schools -- both public and secondary -- wrapped up classes yesterday for the year. I went to my niece's Grade 8 graduation last evening. I have a hard time relating to the idea of returning to school on July 1. That would be awful here, as July and August are often stinking hot and humid, and very few Ontario schools have air conditioning. We're fiercely attached to our summer break, when we can do lots of cool, fun, summer stuff. Anyway, hope you've enjoyed your time off.

Best,

Jen

It has been going well. I just have 3 weekdays left. Today, tomorrow, and Monday. I am back on Tuesday & Wednesday and the kids come back on Thursday -- then we have a 3 day weekend! We have to squeeze in all 180 days!

When the local schools switched to year round they were required to have air conditioning in all the classrooms and offices. 2 years ago it was so hot I don't think we had an outdoor recess and full lunch until September! It was too hot to be outside. Last year we missed a lot, but it wasn't quite as bad. I guess when the schools were traditional (Aug/Sept - June) they would actually have to call heat days because they did not have air! I can't even imagine not having it -- ugh!

2 years ago it was so hot I don't think we had an outdoor recess and full lunch until September! It was too hot to be outside.

No outdoor recess? Good grief, I can't imagine what that would be like week after week.

There are a lot of older buildings here that don't have A/C. Sometimes we have summers that are a bit on the cool side. This summer has been cool so far. But I don't have A/C in my place, so I'm just as happy to open the windows and let the breeze rush through.

Speaking of windows, I went over to the window a short while ago, and looked out in time to see a mob of young children on their way home from school. I thought everybody finished classes yesterday. But I guess the younger children (K to 6) don't finish classes until today or tomorrow. They're finished for sure by the end of this week, though, :D and everybody is looking forward to extra long long-weekend. July 1 is a national holiday -- Canada Day -- and it's celebrated on the actual day. But since July 1 is a Tuesday, many people are taking Monday off, too, and making a 4-day weekend to start off the summer break with a bang. So on the day you start back at school, we're having fireworks.

I hope your summer session isn't too stressful, and that you and your students get plenty of outdoor recesses!

Jen

Indoor recess gets very old very quickly! The advantage of no outdoor recess is that certain students get in trouble mostly on the playground so they are getting in a lot less trouble!

Our independence day is on the fourth, it is nice that it is on Friday this year. Last year it was on Thursday so the kids came to school on Wed., had Thurs. off, and were back on Friday! Yeesh! 4th of July is one of the few holidays we actually celebrate on that day. President's day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day we celebrate on the closest Monday. Veteran's Day (Nov. 11) is another one we celebrate on the actual day. This year I think it is on a Tuesday. Thanksgiving in November is always on a Thursday so we have Thursday & Friday off.

Thanks for the well wishes -- I am a little nervous about going back, which I find strange, not sure why.

Archived