New, And Want Information

I have been searching the internet for a means of practicing worship, but still being able to uphold my personal values and political beliefs....being mostly democrat beliefs. I am pro-same sex marriage, pro-choice, and anti-death penalty. I also am a Christian and believe that worship is a personal thing. Is this the place for me?

I have been searching the internet for a means of practicing worship, but still being able to uphold my personal values and political beliefs....being mostly democrat beliefs. I am pro-same sex marriage, pro-choice, and anti-death penalty. I also am a Christian and believe that worship is a personal thing. Is this the place for me?

Absolutely! By design, Progressive Christianity doesn't underwrite a particular set of political or social beliefs, as these are matters of each person's conscience, informed by faith. In practice though, you'll find a lot of people in the same boat here.

Again, welcome!

Greetings! and welcome.

This is a good forum, in my opinion, for working out what it is to be Christian in a time in which a simple, much less universal, definition of the term is harder and harder to come by. I don't think that any one of us feels totally understood or "of one mind" all the time around here. Some times the challenge to both our intellects and our emotions can become intense, and differences of opinion, as well as belief, do occur. But there is almost no mud-slinging (and in a patient sort of way we don't tolerate much of it), condemnation, or ad hominem attack (which is pretty rare on ANY internet site in my experience, most of which thrive on such). In my opinion, this is a forum for Christians who don't have it all figured out, even while being in some cases quite settled in certain matters of belief or doctrine. Most thoughtful Christians (and I would say that most here fit this description) realize that there are problems within Christiandom and care enough about both the Tradition and the God it serves as well as one another to listen with an open mind and heart to the thoughts, ideas, questionings and the between the lines hurts, disappiontments, disillusionments and confusions that most of us share.

Community is important. I know you feel this or you would not be looking for a place to practice your "private" worship. I understand how you feel. I too feel like a solitary Christian much of the time, which feels like a contradiction in terms according to my own Christian upbringing, as being a "member of the Body of Christ" is a major aspect to being Christian at all...but these are strange and treacherous times when many of us are very protective of our own personal relationship with Truth and feel a need not to define ourselves according to the Whole of Christiandom, but to our own individual experience of God in Christ, as well as a somewhat defensive need to separate ourselves from those Christians or Christian beliefs which do not speak the truths of our own hearts. Nevertheless, most of us here agree that it is important and of great value to hear one another out with com-passion, tolerance, and lovingkindness especially when we disagree. We hope that you will find this of value too.

lily

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for being so friendly! Second of all, Lily, you seemed to hit my feelings right on the nail. I don't like to share my personal beliefs with my friends because they would rather argue about my beliefs rather than embrace them and thank me for being a Christian. I'd like to believe that there is no particular right and wrong, truthfully doubt that my friends know the absolute truth. I have values that I uphold in my everyday life, and also lead a spiritual life that embraces all lifestyles. I might not choose to life a homosexual lifestyle, but I do embrace those who do. My best friend is Catholic, and isn't quite as forgiving. Her family sits down before election and her father tells her how the family should vote. I can't imagine living such a lifestyle! It's funny how she associates her religion so close to her political beliefs. She votes based on those beliefs. I am also a Christian and base my voting off my religious beliefs yet I'm on the completely opposite side of the spectrum. It's amazing how everything works like that.