Generous Orthodoxy

Cynthia

I really like McClaren's perspective and writings. He focuses on the importance of relationship and acceptance in Christian life. He is also one of the more innovative leaders in the Emerging Church movement that has brought forth some tremendously creative approaches to worship, faith dialogue, and Christian life.

I am working on reading Generous Orthodoxy now... I have not made up my mind about it yet, because I am not finished reading, but my initial impression was that he seems to be trying a little too hard in the book to be all-things-to-all- people, to the point that he fails to lift up a compelling vision, at least in this book.

Also, I think that has to be one of the longest book titles in history (if you include the whole title):

A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Methodist, Catholic, Green, Incarnational, Depressed-yet-Hopeful, Emergent, Unfinished CHRISTIAN

I also found it interesting that McClaren was UN-INVITED from speaking at a Southern Baptist gathering after the publication of the book...

I say good for him to tell it like he sees it, and call for more inclusivity and dialogue with diverse people.

:)

Anytime you have the Sourthern Baptists mad at you about being too inclusive, hmm, maybe you're doing something terrible like trying to follow the Great Commandment, to share God's love abundantly with ALL people...

:rolleyes:

Peace,

John

I really like his missional ideas, the idea that salvation (currently) is focused on selfish ends (ie: How do I get to heaven) and non-exclusivity. The idea that grace is a gift, freely given, that should be passed through you (as opposed to stoping with you) to the rest of the world, christian or not, is wonderful to me. It expresses an idea that I hadn't been able to voice.

This book seems (more progressive, more moderate, less conservative - choose depending on your definition! :) ) than a New Kind of Christian. Perhaps, though, that book was written more for people coming from a fundamentalist or very conservative background (not me).

I love the title. It captures so perfectly the inability to "name" spiritual beliefs, God, spiritual experiences, AND the changing nature of all of it over time. :P