Traditional Christian Groups

Since Des said something about "what about the pulpit being the lecturn" (which is what I thought a lecturn might be), I need to ask:

What the heck is a lecturn? :D

Regarding decision theology: since it is Wesleyan, does that make that theology part of Episcopal and Methodist doctrine too? Did they have it once and end up leaving it behind?

BrotherRog

RE: What's "Decision Theology"?

"Essentially, it's what Billy Graham et al preach; i.e. that all humans need to be exposed to the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to make the decision to accept this unmerited gift of salvation that God intends for them or not. It's actually very Armininan (Wesleyan) IMO, but the Calvinists can claim it too - they just add the predeterministic caveat that "God knows in advance which persons will choose to accept the gift of salvation or not"... ; )"

Ah. Thanks BroRog, for explaining this..cause I hadn't known this term before. I think this is the same thing as someone here termed, "Or Else Theology." I wrote an essey much like this on my own site called, "A Fair Ransom," and in it I explain how both Fundamental Prots and JW's contridict their claim that they teach a 'FAIR" chance at salvation for 'ALL'.

A lecturn is just something a speaker stands behind to talk. They can place notes, books, etc on top of it. Great thing as if you are terrified you can hang onto it as well. (I have done LOTS fo public speakign.)

--des

Des, I currently serve a suburban United Methodist congregation but have served rural and urban churches too.

I may be an enigma in here in that I embrace Decision theology, but I wed it with Process and Liberation theologies.

BroRog said: Typically the pastor preaches from the pulpit and the liturgist speaks from the lecturn. However, contemporary services may not use pulpits or lecturns at all.

Des said: What about the pulpit really being a lecturn? I think that's what it is in our case.

Des also said: A lecturn is just something a speaker stands behind to talk.

OK, I'm just clarifying ... a PULPIT and a LECTURN are the exact same thing? Does it depend upon the church?

LMAO Aletheia!!!! :lol:

a pulpit, I think, is a way to refer to whereever the "preacher" stands. (althought sometimes the word is used to mean the individual church leadership. ) In some churches this is a formal area where unordained people may not speak. In others it is less sanctified.

A lecturn is the squarish thing on a pedestal, often wood with a flat top, slightly slanted toward the speaker (to put notes or a book on). You've seen them in classrooms, lectures, etc. Kinda like a music stand, but sturdier. Again, the word is often used to refer to whatever thing, waist-ish high that the speaker stands behind... used to hold notes, or, as des noted, to keep from falling over from fear. :D

In many traditional churches, there are two separate and distinct pieces of furniture on the chancel; i.e. a pulpit (which is usually larger and taller) and a lecturn (which is usually a bit smaller and shorter) - one is at one side of the chancel (stage left or right) and the other is at the other side.

This said, more and more churches just have one piece of furntiture which serves both as pulpit and as lecturn depending upon who is using it. ; )

In many traditional churches, there are two separate and distinct pieces of furniture on the chancel; i.e. a pulpit (which is usually larger and taller) and a lecturn (which is usually a bit smaller and shorter) - one is at one side of the chancel (stage left or right) and the other is at the other side.

I just hate to do this but ... WHAT IS A CHANCEL? :huh:

This said, more and more churches just have one piece of furntiture which serves both as pulpit and as lecturn depending upon who is using it. ;

Depending on who is using it ... hmmmm. Here is comes again - sorry!

Why does it change? When is the single piece of furniture a pulpit and when is it a lecturn? The person standing behind it makes it either "pulpit-ish" or "lecturn-ish", but what do they do to make it either/or?

Did that question even make sense? :blink:

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Because the Chruch typically seeks to create a space that is specifically set aside for reverence and worship, they have historically referred to various parts of their facilities with Churchy terminology to distinguish this space from the secular.

For instance:

Narthex = lobby (outside of the sanctuary)

Sanctuary = the main worship space (aka in secular terms as a hall)

Chancel = the stage (the tern stage is too secular and conveys a sense of

audience and performer instead of congregation and pastor/preacher)

Pulpit = where the larger podium from which the preacher preaches

Lecturn = the smaller podium from which the liturgist speaks

Altar = the table, usually on the center of the chancel, where the Bible, Cross, and

communion elements (bread and wine/juice) are located.

There are dozens of other such instances of churchy terminology. I kind of like it myself. It helps demonstrate that the ways of the Church are distinct from the ways of the world/empire.

There are dozens of other such instances of churchy terminology. I kind of like it myself. It helps demonstrate that the ways of the Church are distinct from the ways of the world/empire.

Thank you BroRog! That helped a lot!

I like the church terminology too. I like the feel it imparts.

Now that I've heard you explain the terminology, I'm getting the impression that the JW's did everything they could (and can) to distance themselves from anything remotely to do with "other religion", which includes their using secular names for everything inside of the Kingdom Hall. :rolleyes:

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Kind of interesting, but the CS church did this as well. The lobby (not that anything every went on there), etc. I had to learn "sanctuary, narthex, etc." I also like these terms for the reasons BroRog said.

--des