Science, Atheists And Religon Links

Here's something I'd like to share here...I've mentioned Dr. Mitchell at UH in some of my other posts, and I have taken under him the RS course he teaches there, "Science and Religion".

Here he gives a talk on the topic, that given how the uneasy relationship between science and religion seems to be arising in several threads here, some might find of interest. He presents some perspectives I've not encountered here, so may be something new to some.

A heads-up before you play it, the sound seems weak, at least on my computer, so I really have to crank the volume up to follow it well....Dr. Mitchell's sometimes rambling presentation doesn't always make that easier, either.

Jenell

Here is also a link to some of his printed comments along this line..

"Religion vs. Science?" with Dr. Lynn Mitchell

Yuksel A. ASLANDOGAN

Episode 39: Schleiermacher Defends Religion

Duration: 1:43:12 — 94.5MB

Discussing Friedrich Schleiermacher’s “On Religion; Speeches to its Cultured Despisers” (1799, with notes added 1821), first and second speeches.

Does religion necessarily conflict with science? Schleiermacher says no: the essence of religion is an emotional response to life; it doesn’t give knowledge or even tell us what to do exactly. Moreover, this attitude is a necessary to fully enter into life, to be a whole and fulfilled person. Yes, he’s of the “romantic” school, but his approach can still be seen today in liberal Protestant churches.

One of my favorites is "America's Evolutionary Evangelists" by Michael Dowd and his wife, Connie Barlow. Bonnie comes from a UU background and Michael was once a fundamentalist Christian.

Michael, more than anyone else I know, seeks to blend progressive Christianity with the realities of science and nature.

"The New Atheists as God's Prophets"

America's Evolutionary Evangelists"

My favorite sermon from Michael is titled, oddly enough, "The New Atheists as God's Prophets" where Michael submits that people like Dawkins, Hitchens, and Harris are actually calling us beyond ancient superstitious notions about God in order to experience what is really real. You can find that sermon listed as number 31 here:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

David Bently Hart, an Orthodox theologian, wrote a scathing review of the New Atheists as an article on the website First Things, entitled 'Believe it or Not'.

Hart is decidedly not a Progressive Christian - and very unmerciful to the new atheists in a tone that can easily be seen as arrogant (I assure you though that he does have the requisite credentials behind his assertions) - so do read it if you don't mind these facts. I post it here because I think Hart does make some very relevant points and expresses something of value to anyone interested in the whole debate.

• 4 weeks later...

David Bently Hart, an Orthodox theologian, wrote a scathing review of the New Atheists as an article on the website First Things, entitled 'Believe it or Not'.

Hart is decidedly not a Progressive Christian - and very unmerciful to the new atheists in a tone that can easily be seen as arrogant (I assure you though that he does have the requisite credentials behind his assertions) - so do read it if you don't mind these facts. I post it here because I think Hart does make some very relevant points and expresses something of value to anyone interested in the whole debate.

Hart isn't just any old Orthodox theologian, he's one of the big guns. His Beauty of the Infinite is constantly cited as a work of brilliance, even if it is dense by even academic standards.

Archived