Madeleine L'engle

zaidagal

Hello!This is not a book review, but Im just wondering, are there any other fans of Madeleine L'engle out there? I just re read AWrinke In Time, and reading it now as an adult has made me realize just how spiritual her books are. I also read "From This Day Forward", an autobiographical account of her marriage. Im ordering more of her old books, hope to have them soon!

Zaidagal

Hi Zaidagal,

I admire Madeleine L’Engle also, have read a collection of spiritual writing by her. Some quotes from her work--

Love isn't how you feel, it's what you do.

The best way to help the world is to start by loving each other, not blandly, blindly, but realistically, with understanding and forbearance and forgiveness.

When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.

Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.

We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes.

I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive...and open to growth.

If it can be verified, we don't need faith... Faith is for that which lies on the other side of reason. Faith is what makes life bearable, with all its tragedies and ambiguities and sudden, startling joys.

Rivanna - Those quotes are beautiful. Thank you for sending them. Ive been reading more about Madeline and I cant believe people tried to ban her books. She had a sense of humour about it, apparently, because in her mind, they were clearly Christian books. Im going to order the Austin series soon!

Zaidagal

Great quotes!

I especially love this one.

We are all strangers in a strange land, longing for home, but not quite knowing what or where home is. We glimpse it sometimes in our dreams, or as we turn a corner, and suddenly there is a strange, sweet familiarity that vanishes almost as soon as it comes.

I think we all do long for "home", even though we're not quite sure what that means.

Marsha - I agree with you, about longing for home...and I love the way Madeleine speaks of us getting "glimpses" of it and then it vanishes....I have a similar experience sometimes with my love for my children...sometimes I feel such an intensity but then I cant seem to "grasp" it if you know what I mean...its almost too much...I dont think Im expressing myself coherently!

• 1 month later...

Hello!This is not a book review, but Im just wondering, are there any other fans of Madeleine L'engle out there? I just re read AWrinke In Time, and reading it now as an adult has made me realize just how spiritual her books are. I also read "From This Day Forward", an autobiographical account of her marriage. Im ordering more of her old books, hope to have them soon!

Zaidagal

na

Kayatl: I am a great L'engle fan, though at times I think I would be more properly be called a fanatical follower! Reading "Meet the Austins" ten times is a bit much, but in my teens I adopted Vicki as my secret self in the Austin family which was so much more desirable than my own. About 20 years ago I went to a workshop she led on reflections on faith and art which was held in Kanuga, a beautiful retreat center in North Carolina. Her book "Walking on Water"of which I have an autographed copy.

Just read one of her supposed young adult books which has the Austins living in New York City for a year. So many authors, so little time! Ever hear of Annie Lamott?

Archived