Liberal Bibles?

Guest wayfarer2k
No, I don't necessarily mean Bibles rewritten in PC lingo per se, but I have seen numerous study Bibles out there but none of them ever seem to be put together by liberal Chrisitians. (I currently have 3, the student Bible, The Women's Bible II, and the Couples' Bible)

Do any of the more liberal denominations put out their own study Bibles, or are there any generic non-denominational liberal study Bibles in existence?

Thanks!

I realize that this is an ancient thread, but Westminster Knox Press has recently come out with the Discipleship Study Bible in the NRSV translation with Apocrypha. I bought this Bible a month ago and, overall, I'm quite pleased with it.

Some study Bibles, like the NOAB or HarperCollins focus extensively on helping us to understand the Bible's text from a historical/critical viewpoint with little in the way of application. Other study Bibles, similar to The Life Application Bible (and a plethora of other "niche oriented" Bibles), have a wealth of information on personal application of the scriptures but very little about the historical/cultural setting of the scriptures.

The Discipleship Study Bible seeks to incorporate BOTH goals, illuminating historical/cultural information while also offering moderate application. One thing about it that impresses me is that, with some passages, it illuminates the historical info while offering a few different interpretations as to how the text has variously been applied down through the centuries.

The DSB will not replace the NOAB, the HCSB, or the NISB (New Interpreter's Study Bible). But is is probably the closest equivalent to the immensely popular NIV Study Bible that mainline/liberal/progressive Christianity has at this point. I wish it had the illustrations of the NIVSB but, alas, it is text commentary. Nevertheless, it is a good "church Bible" to take to church that can help Christians understand some of the historical context of our scriptures while offering non-intrusive suggestions as to how we, as moderns (or postmoderns) might apply the scriptures to our lives.

It has a decent concordance and okay maps. But it's main strengths are the translation (NRSV) coupled with both modern textual criticism and application notes.

bill

• 1 month later...
I realize that this is an ancient thread, but Westminster Knox Press has recently come out with the Discipleship Study Bible in the NRSV translation with Apocrypha. I bought this Bible a month ago and, overall, I'm quite pleased with it.

Some study Bibles, like the NOAB or HarperCollins focus extensively on helping us to understand the Bible's text from a historical/critical viewpoint with little in the way of application. Other study Bibles, similar to The Life Application Bible (and a plethora of other "niche oriented" Bibles), have a wealth of information on personal application of the scriptures but very little about the historical/cultural setting of the scriptures.

The Discipleship Study Bible seeks to incorporate BOTH goals, illuminating historical/cultural information while also offering moderate application. One thing about it that impresses me is that, with some passages, it illuminates the historical info while offering a few different interpretations as to how the text has variously been applied down through the centuries.

The DSB will not replace the NOAB, the HCSB, or the NISB (New Interpreter's Study Bible). But is is probably the closest equivalent to the immensely popular NIV Study Bible that mainline/liberal/progressive Christianity has at this point. I wish it had the illustrations of the NIVSB but, alas, it is text commentary. Nevertheless, it is a good "church Bible" to take to church that can help Christians understand some of the historical context of our scriptures while offering non-intrusive suggestions as to how we, as moderns (or postmoderns) might apply the scriptures to our lives.

It has a decent concordance and okay maps. But it's main strengths are the translation (NRSV) coupled with both modern textual criticism and application notes.

bill

Looks great! Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

bill

Hey Bill,

Following your suggestion here I went onto amazon.com and bought a copy of this Bible. It arrived today and I started reading it; I have to say I like it quite a bit! Thanks for the suggestion! Of course I love the NRSV, and the notes are very nice. Sometimes I wish they were a little more in-depth, but as it's my first study bible, I think it's a good start. :)

Thanks again!

Warmly,

McKenna

Guest billmc
I went onto amazon.com and bought a copy of this Bible. It arrived today and I started reading it; I have to say I like it quite a bit! Thanks for the suggestion! Of course I love the NRSV, and the notes are very nice. Sometimes I wish they were a little more in-depth, but as it's my first study bible, I think it's a good start. :)

Thanks again!

You're welcome, McKenna. I also thought I would mention another Bible that, while it is not exactly "liberal", is a mainline translation and great for the kids. That Bible is the GNT (Good News Translation) with pictures by the French artist, Annie Vallotton. This is not a paraphrase but a "dynamic equivalence" translation begun in 1966 that is aimed mainly at groups where English is a second-language. Therefore, big words like "sanctification" and "justification" have been simplified. I find that I like it much better than the NIV. And it has now been reprinted with full-color illustrations!

A few perks of this Bible: First off, it has a small footprint, making it a great "take with" Bible. Despite this, it has book introductions and limited translation notes. The artistry of Annie Vallotton is very graceful and contemplative (at least to me). It has a small dictionary in the back, "New Testament Passages quoted from the Septuagint", gorgeous full-color maps with index, and a fairly functional general concordance/index.

Best of all, you can buy it online at American Bible Society for only $7.99 plus $2.00 shipping/handling for bonded leather:

http://www.bibles.com/products/ABS_NEW/120140.aspx

It also comes in gray/bue leatherette (my daughter's choice):

http://www.bibles.com/products/ABS_NEW/120101.aspx

And in pink/purple leatherette:

http://www.bibles.com/products/ABS_NEW/120101.aspx

Here is a sample of the illustrations:

http://www.bibles.com/images_products/GNT_Color_Samples.pdf

There is also a few Catholic versions available if you would like the Apocrypha in your Bibe.

So if you are looking for a nice, mainline dynamic equivalent Bible for the entire family, this just might fill the bill.

billmc

Edited by billmc

• 10 months later...
Guest billmc

Another Bible that I wouldn't necessarily call "liberal" but that I feel is a responsible translation is the New English Translation (NET). The translation itself is dynamic, perhaps just a bit more so than the NIV, but the notes to the text, and there are about 61,000 in all, are very literal, almost an interlinear. So while the translation is very user-friendly, readable, and acceptable for study all by it's self, the notes make this Bible unique in giving indepth cultural, historical, and linguistic backgrounds.

The Bible comes with a fairly large topical index and satellite maps of the Holy Land.

One of the things that I really appreciate about this Bible is that like the RSV and the NRSV, the translators of the OT felt that the Hebrew scriptures should be translated in their own context instead of translated through a NT filter. For instance, Isaiah 7 still refers to 'almah' as 'young woman', not as 'virgin.' Jesus' virgin birth in the NT does not rest solely upon this OT verse. I think it is important to realize that Judaism is the mother of Christianity and to respect those scriptures for what they are instead of trying to translate them through NT doctrine. Just my 2c.

But this Bible does a good job of marrying a dynamic equivalent translation with functionally equivalent footnotes. You can essentially read the text for what it means and then read the footnotes for exactly what it says, always a benefit for Christians who want to understand the Bible better.

It can be found at www.bible.org

Edited by billmc