What Is Christianity?

Thurston Quinch

Will somebody explained what this site attempts to achieve. I have read the lead in text and am still confused.

What exactly are you confused about? And how is your thread title relevant? Do you mean 'What is Progressive Christianity'?

Sorry, just a little uncertain how to answer your question :)

So is music, and we're still singing! Sometimes you just need a new song.

I like your first sentence :) You make a good point. What do you mean by the second sentence? That Christianity may just need to be re-interpreted in the modern age? Or am I putting my own viewpoint on your words? :lol:

Anyway, it's great to "see" you, fatherman! You haven't posted in a while :( How's everything with you?

I like your first sentence :) You make a good point. What do you mean by the second sentence? That Christianity may just need to be re-interpreted in the modern age? Or am I putting my own viewpoint on your words? :lol:

Anyway, it's great to "see" you, fatherman! You haven't posted in a while :( How's everything with you?

The first sentence is in the title of this thread, courtesy of Thurston Quinch. The second sentence was my response. I wanted to challenge what I saw as attempt to relegate Christianity to the past or present it as less significant because it is a product of humanity. It's possible that I've misinterpreted the intent or meaning of the statement. I love to hear more about it.

As a classical musician, I often sing music that it centuries old. Is it an artifact of the past? Yes. But when I sing it, it becomes something new. It becomes a living part of the present moment. Perhaps I shouldn't have even suggested that it needs a new song. Perhaps what I really meant to say is that it just needs new voices...living voices. Perhaps also, I want to say that Christianity is not just something to consider, admire, study, debate, or talk about. It is something to live right now. After all, it was not originally called Christianity, it was called The Path, which to me suggests something that we do...like a journey.

Great to see you, too! Nice to be missed. I'm never far away. I just don't always have something to say. Things are going very well with me. Thanks for asking, McKenna!

The first sentence is in the title of this thread, courtesy of Thurston Quinch. The second sentence was my response. I wanted to challenge what I saw as attempt to relegate Christianity to the past or present it as less significant because it is a product of humanity. It's possible that I've misinterpreted the intent or meaning of the statement. I love to hear more about it.

As a classical musician, I often sing music that it centuries old. Is it an artifact of the past? Yes. But when I sing it, it becomes something new. It becomes a living part of the present moment. Perhaps I shouldn't have even suggested that it needs a new song. Perhaps what I really meant to say is that it just needs new voices...living voices. Perhaps also, I want to say that Christianity is not just something to consider, admire, study, debate, or talk about. It is something to live right now. After all, it was not originally called Christianity, it was called The Path, which to me suggests something that we do...like a journey.

Great to see you, too! Nice to be missed. I'm never far away. I just don't always have something to say. Things are going very well with me. Thanks for asking, McKenna!

Okay, I get what you mean when you say it needs new voices :) I like the analogy to music. I play the violin and I rarely play a piece that's less than a century or two old. Yet it's still beautiful today :)

I completely agree that Christianity needs to be lived. I wish it was still called "the Path" or "the Way" (as I have also seen it translated). But then again that's only a label, we'd still need to live up to it no matter what we called it.

Good to know you're hanging around :)

Thurston Quinch, fatherman provided a great description of Progressive Christianity on the duplicate thread! Then there's always the Wikipedia article on Progressive Christianity which may help a bit. Also the TCPC's 8 Points which you've probably checked out already but they're possibly the most concise description of what Progressive Christianity is and what this site is attempting to achieve.

Archived