Gerrard Winstanley

a higher way

I believe so.

When I was growing up (not that I am done yet, ha ha), "Christ" was Jesus' last name. But the exegetical truth of "Christ" is that it simply means "anointed." The NT writers, whatever else they may or may not have thought about Jesus, thought he was anointed by God to speak God's words and to do God's works. And the term which it harkens back to, "messiah," was definately used in the OT of kings, etc. through whom, it was believed, God spoke and worked.

Christians have, IMO, made the term "Christ" too exclusionary. If I recall correctly, everything Jesus may have claimed for himself, he also claimed for those who followed his Way. He was a light, we are lights. He forgave sins, we forgive sins. He was "the Word", we are "living epistles." He went to the cross, we carry our cross. He laid down his life for others, we are to forsake our own lives in the same way. In fact, the word "Christian" means "little Christs." And yet Christians, ironically, though claiming that Jesus lives in them, also claim that he was unique and that there is no way they can emmulate him. :blink:

Now, I'm too much of a rationalist to believe that the "ghost of Jesus" lives inside me or posesses me. And yet...(struggling to find the right words here)...and yet there is a part of me that, in religious language, wants to continue what Jesus began, that wants to see God's kingdom more and more manifested here on earth. I'm not talking about more churches or more Bible studies. I'm talking about things like justice, mercy, forgiveness, caring for the poor and sick, standing up for the oppressed, even understanding and working together with "enemies" for the sake of common good. And I see this "Christ" in others, also, no matter what faith or label they may hold to. This, to me, is the "second coming of Christ," not in the air accompanied by angels, but in people accompanied by "Christlikeness." This "Christ's" purpose is not to be separate from humanity, but to go deeper into it. This "Christ's" purpose is not to divide humanity and our world, but to unite it in compassion.

Exactly, Brian, just like the disciples. "Lord, when will you..." Jesus: "You do it!"

To me, your thoughts on this are key, Brian. There is a scene in the Bible which I believe is metaphor, but it describes people from every tribe and tongue coming to the mountain of God. These are not "Christians" in the religious sense of the word. These are, IMO, people are are drawing nearer to the reality that we call God (and many other names) and are, therefore, drawn closer together.

I agree. The label or title is not important. It is the heart. But the heart can only be "seen" through actions. This is why, IMO, Jesus wasn't interested in people worshipping him. He wanted people to realize that they had the same union with God as he had and then to live out that union in living in unity with others as much as possible.

Hi Bill,

"Exclusivity" is Christianity's middle name! It's also incorrect, imo, because Christ is not "private property." In fact, it may be that Christ is all humanity. I guess I'm a bit of a revolutionary in this sense, that God is for ALL people, no one has "authority" over others. A "spiritual communist" I am. And I hate seeing people "sell" their revelations of the Spirit for money.

Also, the whole belief that Jesus Christ was "then" and not "now," or "out there" and not "in here (in our hearts)" has caused mankind to ignore his own heart. And THIS is perhaps the greatest deception of modern Christianity. That is, telling others to look outside themselves, and obeying other people who are "more spiritual," and not giving man his DUE INHERITANCE, which is God within himself!! It is actually quite carnal, very little spiritual.

And those Christians who are listening to the Voice of God (Love) within them, are perhaps the most spiritual. And the most persecuted.

God is Love. Love is God. No one has exclusive rights on Love.

Blessings!

brian

PS. Thanks for the book link. It surely has some good stuff, too bad it's not free..

Hi Bill,

"Exclusivity" is Christianity's middle name! It's also incorrect, imo, because Christ is not "private property." In fact, it may be that Christ is all humanity.

In fact, the title son of Man itself refers to humanity and when Jesus calls himself the son of Man, he is referring to himself as a representative of humanity.

In fact, the title son of Man itself refers to humanity and when Jesus calls himself the son of Man, he is referring to himself as a representative of humanity.

Hi Neon Genesis!

Your post brings up an interesting question: if the "son of Man" is referring to man, then when Jesus says that the son of Man has the power to forgive sins... then is it true that man can forgive man's sins?

Love to hear your thoughts...

Blessings,

brian

Archived