Need Good Book Re: Atonement Theory

Carl

I am looking for a good book that discusses/describes the Moral Influence View of the Atonement.

Ideally, I would like to find one that addresses Abelard's ideas and then expands on them with newer scholarship, and applies these ideas to contemporary Christian life.

So far, I have not been able to find a book that does this.

If you know of one, please e-mail me at carlandatticus@yahoo.com as I don't get to check this board as often as I like.

Thanks so very much!

Carl

Amazon.com - The Nonviolent Atonement by Weaver

Online article at CrossCurrents - Violence in Christian Theology - Weaver

Online article at Mennonite Life - The Violence of Satisfaction - Weaver

Google "Nonviolent atonement" or "Narrative Christus Victor" or "J. Dennis Weaver" for more information.

(I will email this as well, so you'll see it.) :)

• 1 month later...

I would be interested to hear what people think of Weaver's book, have not seen it myself. It does seem strange that there is not more out there on Abelard's view of atonement.

The closest thing that comes to mind from my reading, is relevant parts of Walter Wink and John Spong, as well as Marcus Borg.

This would make an very interesting topic for this forum, don;t you think? The basic fact that many liberals are turned off of christianity because of what they precieve as a Violent Atonement Thoery. Infact, I think I will start a thread on this on the PC forum;)