Where I've Been Lately

des

Hi ya'll,

This summer (like last) I am working in a summer education/camp program at a private school (see how the other half lives?). Anyway, I am teaching two hands on science classes: space exploration (rockets, playing with toys and figuring out how they would work in space and then watch video, various simulation games-- do stuff with gloves, etc.) and a light class (lenses, pinhole cameras, optical illusions, etc). I have two groups of each (1st- 3rd graders, and 4th-6th graders). It is fun, fun, fun but LOADS of work. But at least, as I told someone today, it is all teaching work and no administration work.

--des

Hi ya'll,

This summer (like last) I am working in a summer education/camp program at a private school (see how the other half lives?). Anyway, I am teaching two hands on science classes: space exploration (rockets, playing with toys and figuring out how they would work in space and then watch video, various simulation games-- do stuff with gloves, etc.) and a light class (lenses, pinhole cameras, optical illusions, etc). I have two groups of each (1st- 3rd graders, and 4th-6th graders). It is fun, fun, fun but LOADS of work. But at least, as I told someone today, it is all teaching work and no administration work.

--des

How delightful to just be able to teach! :) I taught for 24 years before heading for seminary, and I have to admit I don't miss all the paperwork and administrative crap. I think I left just in time to avoid dealing with the growing pressure to teach to the tests by which students, schools, and everything else--even the cafeteria food--seemed to be evaluated.

Some of us saw this coming, and nobody listened--especially not politicians who thought they were scoring points with their constituents by stressing 'accountability' in education through state-wide testing at various levels. :angry:

I envy you just now! Do you have the freedom to create your own lessons and curriculum?

I have pretty much complete freedom as far as what I teach and how I teach it. In fact, teachers create the actual course they are teaching. I kind of inherited the space exploration class but "invented" the other one (actually I like the space one better). The courses are 3 weeks an hour at a time. The only freedom we don't get is choosing the grade(s)/age(s) and the last day in the three weeks. Anyway there are (or have been) classes on the rainforest, "crime busters", math art, Harry Potter (I would like to teach that!), etc. I am trying to get together a more challenging all day space camp for next year which would include mission simulations, SCUBA, rocket launches, etc.

A couple parents I talked to today said they signed their boys up so they could get more science. Very gifted kids both of them. I'm sure they prob. drive their parents wacky with all their curiosity! :-) This is quite a difference from the usual school year.

There is minimal adminstration: keeping attendance and some stuff the last day.

--des

I have pretty much complete freedom as far as what I teach and how I teach it. In fact, teachers create the actual course they are teaching. I kind of inherited the space exploration class but "invented" the other one (actually I like the space one better). The courses are 3 weeks an hour at a time. The only freedom we don't get is choosing the grade(s)/age(s) and the last day in  the three weeks. Anyway there are (or have been) classes on the rainforest, "crime busters", math art, Harry Potter (I would like to teach that!), etc. I am trying to get together a more challenging all day space camp for next year which would include mission simulations, SCUBA, rocket launches, etc.

A couple parents I talked to today said they signed their boys up so they could get more science. Very gifted kids both of them. I'm sure they prob. drive their parents wacky with all their curiosity! :-)  This is quite a difference from the usual school year.

There is minimal adminstration: keeping attendance and some stuff the last day.

--des

If only the school year itself could be like that! Wouldn't it be something if students and teachers could both bound out of bed in the morning, eager to see what questions, surprises, and delights await in the classroom? ^_^

Well it would be a LOT more work (though I am finding the space class is less work than the other one as I don't have to invent so much), and I don't know how I would do it without the internet. But it would be a neat model for education. Of course, you couldn't have NCLB (no child left untested) to constantly be checking for "accountability" (to tests) and "standards". It's interesting that most of the teachers that work there are regular public school teachers.

Here's a litttle write up of what looks like the program 2 years ago.

http://www.venueview.com/vv_design/sandia_..._web/summer.htm

--des