Glad I Found This Site...question.....

HI

I am new here. I am looking for a more liberal church in my area. I actually attend a conservative presbyterian church right now. I am reading a book called common sense christianity. It has got me doing alot of thinking.

What other books would be good to read for a has been conservative christian?

Also who could I contact to find out more info locally?

I am in Statesville NC.

Would a UMC or a PCUSA or United Church of Christ be a good start?

Thanks,

Greg

HI

I am new here.  I am looking for a more liberal church in my area.  I actually attend a conservative presbyterian church right now.  I am reading a book called common sense christianity.  It has got me doing alot of thinking. 

What other books would be good to read for a has been conservative christian?

Also who could I contact to find out more info locally?

I am in Statesville NC.

Would a UMC or a PCUSA or United Church of Christ be a good start?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi, Greg!

As far as books, there are so many to recommend! Each of us on here probably have our favorites and favorite authors. Let me start by suggesting anything by Bishop John Shelby Spong, Jr., retired Episcopal bishop whose books have been helpful in defining liberal or progressive Christianity--especially Why Christianity Must Change or Die, A New Christianity for a New a New World, and Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism.

Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crossan, Bart Ehrman, and Robert Funk--all New Testament scholars with a decidedly progressive bent--have written good, clear and informative books for the general public, and not just for New Testament scholars and pastors. Yet they do not talk down to the lay person, nor do they water down their stuff either.

Paul Tillich mid 20th century Lutheran theologian whose books have influenced people like Spong and others: The Dynamics of Faith and The Courage to Be as well as his collections of sermons: The Shaking of the Foundations, The New Being, and The Eternal Now. Most of his stuff is pretty heady and even seminary students will complain that he is a hard read. Yet, if I hadn't discovered him as an undergraduate about forty years ago, I might not have had any desire to remain a Christian or have found a meaningful way of expressing my faith that spoke to me more than the old, tradi tional"God language" did.

Those are probably enough to keep you out of trouble for a while! :lol:

As for churches, you'll find a considerable variety within each of those denominations you mentioned. Some may be a tad on the conservative side, others may be fairly liberal, and you will find some of each that tend to be on either extreme of the Religious Right or the Left. As the ancient knight told Indiana Jones: "Choose wisely". :) Also, if you might find more liturgical (bells and smells) churches to your liking, churches in the Evangelical Church in America or the Epsicopal Church might appeal to you as well. Many of them on the Divine Doppler are sort of left-shifted as well. Happy hunting!

Greg

I second the nomination of John Shelby Spongs' books. He is a very progressive writer who does follow the message of Jesus while not accepting the bible totally as it is given to us. I discerned many new awakenings from reading his material.

You might be able to find a progressive christian church in your area by searching this website (TCPC).

Dave

Marcus Borg's "Heart of Christianity" is my favorite I think. I also liked his "Reading the Bible again for the first time".

And yes, UMC, PCUSA and UCC are a good start. Other choices: Disciples of Christ; Lutheran Church ECLA (only). There is also the Episcopal church if you like the ritual involved.

--des

Edited by des