Soccer World Cup 2022

tariki

The 2022 soccer World Cup is soon to begin. Awarded to that hotbed of soccer, Qatar - one can only presume because of some form of distribution of Oil Billions - the brand new stadiums have been completed with the loss of about 6500 lives. 

For a month or so many footballers, paid more in a week than a front line nurse in the UK can earn in ten years, will do their thing, with all the various goal celebrations. 

VAR (video assisted referee) will be in operation to ensure that the "correct decision is given everytime" (ha ha......actually the only way to ensure this is to apply the rule that "the referees decision is final".....but hey, who can argue with technology?)

My daughter and I, both lovers of the game (which one older footballer, Danny Blanchflower, once said was "all about glory") have decided to boycott the "beautiful game."

I can confirm that yes, I am becoming a grumpy old man.

I always have mixed feelings about this sort of thing.

Assuming it is our objective to bring Qataris into our tent, then what is the best method?

Boycott?

I ask the same question for Russians. Here I really struggle.

Edited by romansh

Maybe it is some consolation Tariki, that this event will in many ways open Qatar up to the world - to safety standards, to scrutiny of laws concerning homosexuality, 'modesty' standards, women rights, etc.  I know the construction deaths are a far cry from why we accept in the western world, and the substandard & inhumane conditions that much of their labor live in is disgusting.  But there will be a huge influx of westerners, and TV coverage, and journalists etc, that hopefully may help in moving the country forward just a little, in some of these areas.