Science Vs. Belief

flowperson

I found this today on the LA Times web site, and I believe that it points out the sort of basic cultural restructuring we will increasingly experience in the 21st century. It's probably going to be a rough ride, especially for those in control of societal institutions that tend to ignore the obvious in order to preserve and protect their presumed cultural dominance.

flow.... :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mo...-home-headlines

I found this today on the LA Times web site, and I believe that it points out the sort of basic cultural restructuring we will increasingly experience in the 21st century. It's probably going to be a rough ride, especially for those in control of societal institutions that tend to ignore the obvious in order to preserve and protect their presumed cultural dominance.

flow.... :rolleyes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mo...-home-headlines

Fascinating. I forwarded this on to a few friends.

Question: If you eliminate the literalism and racism, what have Mormons contributed to our evolving human wisdom? I'm sure they have but I just don't know what it is. I live near where Joseph Smith "found the tablets" but I am far from Utah and don't know Mormons. Oh. Once I did meet a couple who moved away from Utah and described themselves as "recovering Mormons".

I live in Utah and know A LOT of Mormons. Almost all my family, most of my workmates (including my bosses) and 90% of my neighbors are LDS.

Most Mormons are normal people, with unusual ideas about God. But then again, I have unusual ideas about God according to some. Oh well. :D I love Utah, and I do get frustrated with how Mormonism is portrayed in the media. Polygamy and gun-toting survivalists are very much an exception and not the rule, unlike how TV would have you believe.

If it wasn't for Mormonism, my great-grandfather would never have emigrated from Norway and I wouldn't be here. How's that for Mormonism contributing to human wisdom?

Heh! Kidding! ;)

I've known Mormons from time to time in my life and have found them to be generally open and accepting of others on a personal level. They are grounded in an inspiring belief in the value of family, work, responsibility for the welfare of others, and are not uppity about their accomplishmnents. They're probably better Christians, as a group dynamic, in their behavior than most other denominations, at least insofar to their adherence to the teachings of Jesus. Their foundational culture underlies the somewhat brief history of the city and valley that I now call home, and I can freely state that the people here are more open, friendly, non-judgemental, and tolerant than anywhere else I've spent any significant time during my life.

Yes, some strange beliefs as far as some of us wacky liberal mainliners may think, but full brothers and sisters in the group of believers nonetheless. I'd rather ride on their bus than Jerry Falwell's on a long trip to anywhere.

My reason for posting this article, which I believe delineates better than most things I've read, is just what the burgeoning discoveries of science and their appplication to our everyday lives is doing to traditional beliefs all over the map, and just not to Mormonism. It's something I recognized and realized about twenty years ago, and, as stated earlier, I believe will be the primal theme of the 21st century.

Thanks for your interest.

flow.... :)

:P It's time that spirituality became scientific. Let's stop using religion to beat people over the head and start exploring the power of prayer, near death experiences, the relationship between conciousness and quantuum physics. In a world with 10,000 nukes, and 26 storms in the Americas in 1 year, maybe the only way out is a scientific understanding of God.

• 1 month later...

:P

It's time that spirituality became scientific.

Yes, I believe the reassuring first step to know the science of God is to develop the conscious awareness of His omnipresence, which is ancient and as modern as the space age. Dedication to the recognition of this one God as an art and the unity of all things in His consciousness as a science will eliminate the stress and hustle of modern life, but it needs to be expressed in scientific terms to satisfy the intellect so the silence can be felt.

http://thinkunity.com